1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uploading pictures on the web??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Gordie, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken a few pictures of my setup (to post on the "Get your plasmas out" thread), i have copied them onto my PC via the Fuji Finepix software and they look perfect. But when I upload them onto the internet, they look pretty poor. When i look at the pictures most of you guys have attached to threads, they look far superior to what I have just uploaded, is there anything I am doing wrong? I have tried it on 1 meg & 3 meg photos (Fuji S304) heres an idea of what it uploads as:

[​IMG]

2. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice fire Gordie! There doesn't look anything wrong with the photo to me - is that the 1mb version?

Is that your TV on top of the fireplace?!

Nicola ( who has never seen a plasma TV before :blush: )

3. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had a look at imagebucket and uploaded a 4mp photo of my own to see what it looked like and it looked terrible! So I did some further investigating and apparently all pictures get resized downwards if they are over a 250kb limit!
    Maybe you should try another place to host your images, I use Webshots and Ofoto

Nicola

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Looking at the EXIF info (see attached), I am guessing that this is the origonal file

The JPEG compression looks a little high but overall (the edges of the fireplace are a bit jagged), the quality looks OK. But remember that you don't want huge images on the internet (as they take forever to download on dialup) so compression in cases like this is acceptable.

As HBE says, it looks like the compression is being done by the site that hosts your images. If you want to send me a copy of the origonal, I will stick it on my webspace (without any compression) so you can see if it looks better.

Attached Files:

5. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordie

The picture's fine - a bit jagged at the edges - but if you limit the file size to < 250 kb you should be OK.

more importantly though, where did you get that rather nice separates stand??

6. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, I took some of the advice and tried again. Before I uploaded the photo, I resized it to 640x480 and in photo impression, adjusted the contrast a bit. It now looks a lot better.

[​IMG]

Northerner, i got the separates stand from Argos £80.00 if i remember. Its not at the furtiture section but where you find speaker stands etc. All I did was leave a shelf out and i managed to get the Kef sub to slide in underneath it.

7. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    sorry guys but can you tell me how to upload a photo to the forum?? :lease:

8. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    You can either host it on your own webspace and embed it into the message using the tags around the URL or, you can resize it and post it as an attachment using the 'manage attachments' button at the bottom of the screen when you are constructing your post. Limits apply to the latter.

Blimey, I thought Nicola was back then :laugh: then I saw the dates of the posts :)

9. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    thanks for the quick reply! How do I construct the img tags??

10. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Example, the picture below is hosted on my webspace. The URL is http://www.stelor.plus.com/pictures/smallworld.jpg.

If I put the URL in tags starting [​IMG] I get this result:

[​IMG]

You can also just put the url in the box that appears when you click the 'mountain' symbol when constructing a new post.

Hope that helps