1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uploading Footage Quality!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by lokimus, Aug 1, 2005.

1. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey i use Sony Vegas 5.0 and i have a song DV handy cam. I was wondering if there anyway to improve the quality of the footage when uploading, i sue a USB cable when uploading the footage to the PC, but when i watch the footage back on the TV the quality is amazing and to do this i use a different cable. So is there another cable i need to imporve the quality if the video uploaded? or do i need to use another program? any ideas guys?

Many thanx

lokimus

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You need to use firewire (also called IEEE1394) the USB is only really for still pictures.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    As stated you need to use firewire (aka iLink, DV port) to get the full quality of video off the cam and onto a PC.
    USB2.0 is just not up to the job as it can not sustain a high enough transfer speed. All you will get from USB is something akin to web cam quality that is no where near what is possible from even the cheapest of DV cams.
    If you don't have firewire on the PC then you can add it on a PCI card that plugs onto the motherboard. The card should be supplied with a cable to connect the cam and cost under £20 online.

Mark.

4. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah ok so is the IEEE1394 the model number? and this will improve the images captured will it, also is it compatible with the Sony DCR - HC18E model? thanx so so so much !!!

lokimus

5. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Lokimus,

IEEE1394 is just the technical name for firewire. It is also known by a number of other names (I-link, DV port, etc).

The images captured should be as good as you are getting from the TV using your other lead (the yellow/red/black analogue cables).

And, yes - your camcorder will have this connector on it somewhere.

As Mark says, if your PC is lacking this facility, it's cheap and relatively easy to add. You will need to buy a firewire card from somewhere like PC world, they have one on their website for £17.99 including a 5 ft firewire cable and some Ulead editing software (go to pcworld.co.uk and do a search for 'startech firewire PCI card'.

Good luck, let us know if you need more help.

6. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou so much! Well i have one more thing to ask i have been looking at the cables etc and they of course differ in price, is there much difference between them? thanx again guys, real help! :D

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The only thing you need to worry about with firewire cables is their length. It is recommended that they are no longer than 1.8m
    Other than this there is nothing to worry about as to be called a firewire cable they must conform to the ieee1394 standards.

Mark.

8. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, ive jsut looked at the side of my laptop and it has a port next to my LAN card that says IS400 'ieee1394' i am guessing that is the firewire port, so i jsut need the cable? thanx so much guys this means alot to me!

9. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just note that a laptop *normally* requires a 4pin to 4pin cable - while a standard PC will *usually* need a 6pin to 4pin. Four pin at camera end each time.

10. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I thought that USB2.0 was Ok and USB 1.1 was the one that was not fast enough.
    Currently I use USB 2.0 and can capture high quality footage with no dropped frames. Are you saying that I will get even higher quality with firewire?

-Neil

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Without a doubt! USB2.0 is actually faster than standard firewire (newer, faster versions are now available though) but it can not sustain a constant transfer rate that is required for video capture at full quality.
    What format are you captureing the video as? I would guess it will be MPEG-1 which is a lot lower quality than uncompressed AVI. There again MPEG-1 creates far smaller files at approx 700Mb per hour (ie a CD-R aka VCD) compared to 13Gb per hour for AVI.

Mark.