Upload hmmm

bogart99

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Yesterday rang Plusnet to moan about my , as usual, intermittent broadband. After the usual guff try this try that I kept reiterating the point that my upload speed is dire. I usually have a download of around 2.5Mbps and an upload of around 0.5Mbps. Yesterday the download was okish but the upload was peaking at 0.05Mbps, mostlty around 0.03Mbps. The Plusnet "technical agent" said I should not worry about the upload unless I was maybe uploading photos or suchlike. This comment surprised me to say the least as I said with such a crap upload establishing a connection was near impossible on most sites and if I succeeded in that one could die as they say "waiting for Godot"
but in my case "waiting for a connection". I pointed out that if I ask Alexa to play a tune there is a delay of some 20-30 seconds before I even get a response from her.
Anyway Openreach are coming this afternoon so will grill him.

You have your rights to good connection speeds, be they upload or download, and Plusnet must do everything possible to get you those speeds. They have 30 days from date of complaint to correct the problem otherwise you can walk away.

Hopefully Open Reach will find out what is going on and fix it, if not don't get fobbed off by anyone in Plusnet's support, these days they know they have to fix the issue or suffer the consequence.

The Openreach guy has been spent time in the premises testing things then went away for over an hour. Says he tested at various points and eventually at the cabinet, some 4km away, he swapped the phone line over for a "better pair" with comment your download is now 4Mbps. Well as soon as he went I tried to use it and it had dropped out, which Plusnet can see, the download speed is the same 2.5 Mbps ish and the upload is still crap at 0.04Mbps on last test. Have again rung Plusnet who say they have to await the Openreach engineer's report before they can carry on. Moving from Plusnet to my mind will make no difference as the problem resides with Openreach.

The problem with the new pair is the equipment it's attached to will take a few days to settle and run at its best. At this point you have no idea where the issue is, it could be down to Plusnet's equipment, in the exchange, being at fault, this happens and they will need to swap it out to be sure.

Cunning plan and it will be interesting to know how you get on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom