1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgraditis coming again..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fred123go, Jan 23, 2004.

1. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    While downgrading projector, until april anyway, i want to spend the spare cash on one of the best subwoofers in the world, the famous velodyne HGS-15.
    Basically i have a chance of buying this second hand for a very good price.
    My M&K is great but doesn't go as low as i want, pre 20 hz or as loud, i am a mad bass fan
    What are your opinions of this subwoofer?
    cheers
    fred

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Fred, it's one of the best commercial subwoofers in the world.

I dont think anyone could argue with that.

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i do want my system to be eventually one of the best in the world and i think one of the most important part of a system is the subwoofer.
    I have decided to go for the HGS-15, although my M&K is superb if i can afford it, although being projectorless for 12 weeks, i might as well get it.
    thanks for the feedback
    fred

4. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    The HGS-15 is substantially better than the V-125.

You will hear & feel the difference.

Adz

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,993
    Fred, the other thing to bear in mind is that some people put the HGS-15 on a par with the Servo 15 - and twin servos should outperform a single HGS-15: do the math and it works out cheaper.

I don't wish to start a "which sub" is best debate, but in terms of value for money I'm not sure this is the best option...

Alternatively, I did have the pleasure of witnessing the HGS-18 in action this week and I came away drooling....:D (but that'll cost you more)

[Edit] Just do a search on HGS or Servo-15 and it will bring up lots of heated discussions from the past: amidst all the bitching (which still makes me laugh) there is some GOOD info there; don't rush into the purchase without reading some of the stuff on here. And why are you going to be projectorless for 12 weeks????

6. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just because i want the sub and it may go soon, doubt i will see a second hand hgs15 going for a while, i don't mind going projectorless for 12 weeks and getting the sub as i need to do serious work for as-levels this summer so it will give me a break from film watching.
    Twin servos may outperform a HGS-15 but it may not, the fact is the HGS-15 is one of the best subwoofers in the world, and not a world apart from the HGS-18. I have actually heard, or should i say felt, the HGS-18 and it is the cleanist, smoothest, deepest, delicious bass i have ever heard. I doubt the HGS-15 is much difference in performance.
    I don't want to really go into the 2 subs v one sub debate.
    cheers
    fred

7. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a HGS 15 is a wonderful sub and i'd be proud to have one in my system,in fact i nearly did.In terms of 15 v 18 they are not a million miles apart, except 1 goes louder and a little deeper...after all they are both THX ultra 2 certified.

As for Twin servo v hgs 15 i cant comment as ive no felt/heard twin servo's tho im sure they rock the house...but i would say the hgs offers less distortion and as thats what i like ,i'd go for a hgs every time.

Fred i hope you get the sub and im sure you wont be dissapointed m8ty

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Fred, you haven't actually heard the sub have you?

That's a big purchase to make blind (or should I say deaf?). Now I'd expect the sub to be good, very good. But in a small room, on a 16 year old kid's budget, and without a screen? I don't know, it's a gamble. It's unlikely to offer you much over a Servo 15.

How much have you seen the sub for Fred?

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,993
    I think Fred said he was moving at some point though, to a dedicated room...

10. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are correct, but he said in PM that he isn't anymore though IIRC...

11. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room isn't that small, Dimmy i have heard the HGS-18 as my uncle's friend has one, it was only a brief demo but it was breath taking.
    We are not moving but we will be building an extension which i hope to turn into a home cinema room, ;) hehe, which is a pretty damn good size. Also my bedroom has now turned into a dedicated room as i have no bed and sleep in another room
    Sorry Matt but twin servo 15's did not beat the HGS-18, although they did go low and loud there was less distortion on the HGS-18-not by much though!
    I will survive without a projector for 12 weeks, might even get a cheap ae100 so i can watch a few films then either get a H56 or a Z2 again :)
    basically i am ambitious and i want a pedigree system, i will never have to upgrade this subwoofer as there are few that are better, and i really wouldn't have the money to do that.
    cheers
    fred

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,993
    And where exactly did I say they did?:rolleyes:

And I thought you were looking at a HGS-15?

You and heard them in completely different rooms at different times (both of them briefly) and you're not even used to servo-drven bass....oh fred you are a one:rolleyes:

13. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    How about the SVS PB2-plus? With current exchange rates I'm only just holding of grabing an SVS of some description. From what I've read that would be comparible to the HGS-15 for less money.

14. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,993
    Comparable? Reports I've read suggest this is better than the HGS-18. Must add I find this part difficult to believe, purely because I've never heard anything better.

I'm very tempted to give it a whirl...

15. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Smurfin, I was trying to be political, and anyway, didn't the guy who just bought 2 say that 2 of them beat the HGS-18 but 1 he wasn't sure about?

nm I went and found the threads. One guy comparing the HGS-18 to the PB2-Plus and prefered the SVS, the other guy comparing 2 servo 15s with a single then double SVS.

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,993
    No he was talking about the Servo-15.

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would be interested to know how you determined that the twin Servos had more distortion than the HGS-18 that you heard as I am sure that we could all benefit from knowing what to listen out for.

18. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

19. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As someone who has owned both an HGS15 and a Servo15 I would put the HGS15 in a different league - this is in MY room though and it may just be that the HGS15 suited it better.

Matt.

20. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He's got a trained ear Ian :).

Fred - forum members aren't trying to 'gang up' on you here mate, we're trying to point the logic out to you that you may very well be spending more money for less performance. I noticed that the sub you're interested in's priced at £1200 - that's two servo 15s and almost all the cost of a third. I have a sneaking suspicion that three would blow this velodyne out of the water :rolleyes:.

And, again, I'll re-iterate...

YOU'RE NOT BUYING A HSG-18, YOU'RE BUYING A HSG- 15, YOU HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD IT!!!!!!!!

It's fine & dandy saying "it's one of the best subs in the world", but if you get it home and it's no better than a Servo (or, as appears to be increasingly likely - it's worse), then that's £1200, and your projector!, badly spent.

21. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jesus christ here goes
    After listening to the HGS-18 i now know what 'clean' bass is, the servo 15's base was not as clean as the HGS-18's. The HGS-15, while not as good as the hgs-18 obviously, will have a similar performance.
    AND IF i am not happy with the HGS-15's performance i can probably sell it on at the same price and go for twin servos, even 3 ;), and all is nice n' dandy.
    I think i am the best to decide what i like from a subwoofer, the HGS-18 had all of that. I am hoping the HGS-15 will follow suite.
    Matt mate don't get vexed, the servo 15 is an amzing beast and outputs a hell of a lot of power but i prefer less distortion.
    cheers
    fred

22. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So now we've moved from twin Servo 15's competing well against 1 HGS15 (which I can believe) to it being "increasingly likely" that an HGS15 is worse than a Servo 15 (which is absolute nonsense).

Matt.

23. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks matt,
    There is so much hype about the servo 15's on this forum that i think many people think they can't be beaten.
    they are bloody good subs non the less....wonder how three of these will fair against a HGS-15...hmmmm
    fred

24. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you said in another post recently, you watch 5-6 films per week. That means you'll miss watching over 60 films in that time. I hope the HGS-15 is worth it!

25. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL i hope so too. But it is a small sacrifice...as i said in another thread i need to do some work!!it will free up abotu 10-15 hours a week for me.
    I may also be able to afford a better projector afterwards..depends
    cheers
    fred

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Something about pots and kettles springs to mind here.

You asked for people's opinions and have now got them so I imagine that this thread has run it's course.

27. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So tell me Fred, after you've got all these servo 15's in your room, where are you gonna sit to watch movies? There's barely enough room as it is...let's face it, a projector is wasted in that room. The picture it produces is no bigger (and certainly not better) than my 32" WS TV...
    Why not wait until you have had the extension built AND THEN buy the sub(s)? That way, at least you'll know what you'll need...I think that the M&K sub you have at the moment will do you just fine in any room.
    I was very impressed by the sound and you deserve to be congratulated for the time and effort you have spent working to pay for the system youreself...but let's not get a little above our station now eh? There is such a thing as going over the top - espicially in our hobby. It could turn out to be a total disaster...

28. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,993
    Fred

The HGS-15 is - I'm sure - a stunning sub, and it certainly isn't be a bad purchase per se. Dimmy definately isn't correct where he suggests the HGS-15 suffers in performance against a Servo, and I don't think anyone would argue with me on that one.

BUT...

Fred, I'm not getting vexed, I have no need of reassurance as to the performance of the Servo-15s; frankly I couldn't give a monkey's if you like them or not, especially as you've spent no time with them anyway.

As to your statement...

...fine, what are you asking our opinions for then?

Strikes me that you just want to buy an "expensive" subwoofer. Be my guest, you'd made up your mind before you started this thread anyway:rolleyes:

End of discussion (for me;))

29. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I've dug out a few more relevant quotes;

30. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Strange - this thread was closed last night now it's sprung back into life :confused:

As far as figures go, you can mess with the parameters and get different results. The Tom V figures (re-quoted by Chips) are, I believe, using a max distortion percentage of 10% - if you reduced it to 4% then you'd almost certainly find the HGS15 figures would look way better than the Servo 15. Nothing wrong with using 10% but you get the point.

Similarly, if Velodyne had engineered the HGS's to allow up to 10% distortion then they're output would no doubt be higher - as it is, they restrain their output as soon as distortion starts to kick in. The Servo 15 however has a bit more freedom to go for it output wise.

I feel reasonably qualified to comment as, like I said, I used to own an HGS15 and I now own a Servo 15. In my room (16x14) the HGS15 seemed to play "cleaner" than the Servo - that's just my subjective opinion based on the fact that the Servo tends to make some things vibrate whereas the HGS15 didn't (even though it was hitting you with just as much bass).

Overall, I'd have to say that the Servo 15 is an excellent sub (and amazing value) but, in my room at least, the HGS15 was a step up and as close to perfection as I've heard.

Matt.