1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading....?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Griff, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha's DSP-A592 amplifier currently and that until recently seemed adequate for my DVD set up. I am upgrading to a Plasma screen and getting a new DVD player courtesy of my insurance company. I would like a DTS system. Can I upgrade my Yamaha amp to DTS by adding something in between it and the DVD player or do I need a new amp? ALso, anyone got any recommendations on a DVD player circa £350-400? All advice gratefully received.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Hi

Yamaha have the DSP800 processor which has DTS etc but you may find it better to buy a new amp/receiver.

For a dvd player have a look at the Toshiba 510 which has progressive scan output (NTSC) that will suit your new Plasma well.

It worth starting another thread in the DVD forums for more recommendations.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A new amp will cost only as much as an E800. As far as I remember the 592 doesn't have 5.1 input, so a DVD player with (DTS) decoder would be of no use either.

Well, good reason to buy a new amp then! :D

4. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is where I get confused...the Yamaha does I believe have 5.1 inputs etc as I ran it with the previous DVD in a 6 channel manner, not that it was DTS though....is it has 6 channel in and I get a DVD player with DTS do I need to change the amp for one that has DTS? IS there a technology in the amp specific to DTS or is it just processing the 6 channels of sound? Confused.....the other comment about NTSC..I thought that was for US videos..am I even more confused now?