Upgrading

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Ridgewoodwoody, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current system comprises a Denon RCD-M38 CD Receiver , a Denon iPod dock, Monitor Audio Bronze Reference BR1 speakers and a Project Elemental deck. I would like to upgrade mainly out of acquisitiveness and want rather than aching need. I'd have a budget of around £1500. I play mainly CDs and vinyl albums. Suggestions gratefully received.

2. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Do you have room for floorstanding speakers?

If I had what you have and 1500 to spend I would audition a rega brio, a cambridge audio cxa80. If I bought the brio I'd look at a marantz cd6006, but if I bought the cxa I'd buy the cheaper marantz cd5005 and plug in via digital connect, therefore using amps own dac

Either of these should bring you to about 900 pounds approx.

The q acoustic 3050 floorstanders are a steal at the moment, but if you have to stick with standmounts and like your monitor audio, the bronze br2 are a big sounding speaker.

I don't know anything about turntables, but I'm sure your existing one will sound good in above combos, xo I might try first before I upgraded.

Just one or two ideas in a hifi world of many

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  3. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    Get yourself to a HiFi shop and start to audition some systems. Unless you have reference point for systems costing that amount of money any advice would as useful as saying 'I have £5 to spend on cheese, what should I buy'. Others personal preferences may not match yours.

4. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
  5. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,381
    Rega Brio is a good investment. Couple that with a Marantz CD player and the two will blend very well. I've not heard any Rega speakers but it would be safe to assume that they will have been tuned with Rega amps in mind. I just love my combination of Marantz SACD player and Rega Elicit R.

Personally I would buy a new amp and player, just for the safety of a good warranty and maybe look for open box or ex demo speakers although the Rega mentioned above look interesting.

6. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    The RX1S and 3s are ‘seconds’ in that they have a tiny mismatch in veneers. That’s all, and they come with the normal, original warranty.

I couldn’t even find the supposed mismatch when I bought mine a few years ago. Never did.

7. Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the suggestions. Rega kit obviously very popular. Do you think my current equipment would sell?

8. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    Anything will sell on eBay.

How much for is the thing. But it’s worth the effort, your stuff certainly has a market and the proceeds will make a modest dent at least in the price of your new stuff.

9. Apollo83

Apollo83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I recently upgraded with similar budget.
    My experiences here:
    Question - First Upgrade - What would you do?
    and here:
    Speakers for a larger space

My advice first of all would be to understand any weaknesses in your current kit.
    To do that audition in a hi-fi shop and compare what you have to what you like.
    Once you've identified the weaknesses then you can ask:
    I need a more neutral sound or more clarity or more control or better spatial resolution, etc.

For what it's worth I ended up with Rega Apollo -> Rega Brio -> Monitor Audio Silver 100.
    Which filled my larger room, addressed bass roll-off while keeping things neutral and brought additional clarity and control.
    But that's me.
    It's entirely possible you won't end up with a Rega Brio :)