streamingnewbie

Novice Member
Hi Guys, complete newbie here hoping to get some help and advice.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V379 receiver and a 5.1 setup (Cambridge Audio Min12 (X5) and X201) along with Sky Q UHD. I did previously have my PS4 connected via the optical but when Sky installed they said my Receiver wouldn't support UHD so they switched the Sky Q to Optical and my PS4 was just disconnected (my Yamaha is HDCP2.2 so still a bit confused on that). So currently HDMI1 port is Samsung TV and Sky Q is the Optical.

My new Samsung Q800T has just packed in after 10 months so I'm been offered a full refund so am replacing it with the LG CX. (I've therefore got a decent budget for a PS5 and possible new receiver).

I've ordered the Denon AVR-X2700H but am debating whether it's even needed. I will be keeping my 5.1 speaker setup rather than upgrading to Dolby or 7.1.

I guess what I'm asking is:

1) With my current Yamaha receiver, could I in fact use my PS4 (soon to be PS5) along with Sky UHD fine (and it is Sky that have made a mistake)?
2) Would there be any benefit of upgrading to Denon AVR-X2700H based on my setup explained above? And would I be able to connect a 5.1 setup when this receiver is actually 7.2?

The new receiver is £600 so not cheap but like I say, I've saved a bit from my TV exchange so got an OK budget, but if there will be no benefit from upgrading I'd prefer to save myself the headache.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Links:

Hi Guys, complete newbie here hoping to get some help and advice.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V379 receiver and a 5.1 setup (Cambridge Audio Min12 (X5) and X201) along with Sky Q UHD. I did previously have my PS4 connected via the optical but when Sky installed they said my Receiver wouldn't support UHD so they switched the Sky Q to Optical and my PS4 was just disconnected (my Yamaha is HDCP2.2 so still a bit confused on that). So currently HDMI1 port is Samsung TV and Sky Q is the Optical.

My new Samsung Q800T has just packed in after 10 months so I'm been offered a full refund so am replacing it with the LG CX. (I've therefore got a decent budget for a PS5 and possible new receiver).

I've ordered the Denon AVR-X2700H but am debating whether it's even needed. I will be keeping my 5.1 speaker setup rather than upgrading to Dolby or 7.1.

I guess what I'm asking is:

1) With my current Yamaha receiver, could I in fact use my PS4 (soon to be PS5) along with Sky UHD fine (and it is Sky that have made a mistake)?
2) Would there be any benefit of upgrading to Denon AVR-X2700H based on my setup explained above? And would I be able to connect a 5.1 setup when this receiver is actually 7.2?

The new receiver is £600 so not cheap but like I say, I've saved a bit from my TV exchange so got an OK budget, but if there will be no benefit from upgrading I'd prefer to save myself the headache.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Links:
If the Yamaha has ARC, then you can connect the Sky box to the TV HDMI, and then the sound can be sent to the AVR.

If it doesn't have ARC, then yes you would benefit from getting the Denon either for ARC or direct connection.

If you are able to keep the Yamaha and have some budget left, then I would seriously consider upgrading at least your L/C.R speakers and the sub.

gibbsy

SkyQ with the full UHD package does need an amp with 4K passthrough so the connection to the TV via HDMI and optical out to the receiver is correct. Why they went down that route is questionable as you could easily have connected the TV and receiver together by HDMI and use the ARC function. The PS4 could then be connected as you previously had it.

You could also connect the TV to the receiver by optical if ARC proves unstable, which it often does, as you will not lose any audio quality as with no Atmos set up you don't really need Dolby Digital Plus and it's reliance on ARC and just go with Dolby Digital via the optical connection.

A new AV amp would certainly make life easier for you as it could act as a HDMI hub with everything going through it including a new PS5. However you could still link the PS5 to the new TV by HDMI and bypass the need to buy a new unit unless you really wanted to. As the Captain has said an upgrade on speakers would make a difference.

streamingnewbie

Novice Member
Thanks for the responses. I think what happened with the Sky Engineer is they thought my receiver didn't have 4K passthrough which is why they disconnected the PS4. It's only since having a proper look at the Spec where I can see it does.

So with the Denon, I'm assuming there would be no need for optical. Both the Sky and PS would be connected to the HDMI's ports of the receiver? Whereas if I kept the Yamaha, the workaround would be leave the setup as it is, but connect the PS directly to the TV rather than the Receiver?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom