1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading xbox hard drive (how hard)

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by SILVERBACK, Oct 30, 2003.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    did a search but couldnt find any info so if some one has a link or a website or even first handle knowledge it would be much appreciated.also can you just throw any pc hard drive in it etc an what would you recommend ?

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    cheers mate thanks for the links,i already have a xbox which has been modded but the original hdd was corrupt but i didnt know it till i had it modded lol (funny that when you think about the irony lol) so id rather just throw a new big hdd in it after the cash i spent on it.thanks again for the help :smashin:

4. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't go overboard, Just get a 80-120gb HDD, the XBox motherboard can only detect 137GB , and only buy a 2mb cache version, that's wasted aswell. If you can, go for a 5400rpm hard-drive, this will reduce the amount of heat inside the XBox. But all of this is unnecassery if you don't put your games onto the HDD (which you will probably need to patch, using FTP from your Box to PC). If you need any more help just go to the worldxbox forums

Rich

5. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Excuse my ignorance but, with a modded xbox do you simply load games onto your xbox hard drive then select them via a menu ?

Also, how may games would a standard 10g xbox hd hold ?

Thanks

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Thats exactly what you do, but i have seen some posts where some games do need patching even on the hard drive. I am pretty sure that you have to patch if you are backing onto dvdr but i have never backed anything to dvdr so dont quote me on that.

7. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    A standard 10g harddrive would hold only 3 or 4

8. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most games only take up about 880mb-1.2gb, so you should be able to fit about five games onto a standard one, but don't bother doing it, as there is only 8gb of usable space (2gb for loading games, and system data) and then you'll need to consider extra levels for games (Live or XBM disks), music and game saves. Upgrade if you want to put games on the hard-drive, otherwise don't. IIRC then you can stream movies via ethernet to your XBox via your PC hard-drive.

Rich

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    right i`ve ben out and bought a MAXTOR 120GB hdd 7200rpm for £99 at pc world (please feel free NOT to tell me how crap or how bad my hdd is lol) i`ve been waiting for ever for a mate to get me a hdd but he hasnt come thru lol so i bought it myself.

id also like to say when i went into pc there was a LAST 5 DAY SALE flyer on display which had a western digital 120gb hdd for £100 reduced from £175 which i instantly picked up,only to be told the flyer was a mistake and the pic of the hdd was a maxtor (the pic was of a maxtor but the rest was displayed as western digital)and indeed was not a western digital after arguing the toss for about 10 mins i decided to just get the maxtor lol.

anyway i got a huge hdd for my xbox on the cheap either way you cut it and hopefully i will have my new super hype NOS injected 2fast 2furious xbox back soon lmao.thanks for all your help boys :smashin:

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Why did you not just order direct from premodded. Then you would not have to faff around preparing it and loading (ftp'ing) all the apps. And a 120GB pre-prepared drive is only £90.

Either that or you could get a bare drive from ebuyer for about £63.

:confused:

11. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i wish i knew messiah lmao seriously though i couldnt get on the website mate,tried a load of times and besides my mate can do some of the work with it,seeing as he couldnt be arsed to get the hard drive himself lol.