Upgrading very old hifi system - I have no idea! Please help!

Doris13

Novice Member
Reaction score
Right, I am looking to upgrade my very old Sony mini hifi system - it has tape, minidisc, CD and radio and I still love it so I don't want to change that part. It just plays out of the speakers that came with it (still seem OK) but they're just placed either side of the system due to not being able to run wires round the room easily and across the fireplace. I have a cable which I plug my little suitcase record player in with, so I can use the speakers.

In the kitchen I have a Sonos speaker which is great, so any streaming is done in there. I'd like to be able to stream from my phone to the speakers/new speakers in the lounge too. It's all open plan so I can hear the kitchen sonos but not ideal. I would like it all connected in the lounge really.

I really don't know what I need to improve the whole system. Plugging in and wiring speakers around the room just doesn't seem feasible although it needs them both sides of the fireplace. It's a small room so nowhere to stand speakers. They'd have to sit on the shelves and cables would be really visible.

Can anyone please help me work out what I should do? I really don't know where to start!

Thanks,
Claire

Welcome to av forums Claire,
What you'll need to stream from your phone is a Bluetooth receiver. Some hifi amplifiers/hifi systems have bluetooth built in. If they dont, as in the case of your Sony mini system, you could buy a Bluetooth reciever and plug it into the hifi system, provided your sony has inputs. Im assuming you have some sort of input as you can.plug in your record player..

What model sony mini system do you have? A picture of the back of the unit would be useful.

Are you looking to replace the speakers for an upgrade in sound or are you happy with how it sounds, just missing the Bluetooth?

Do you have a budget? how much space do you have?

The speaker cables can be extended/swapped for longer, but without knowing what connections there are its difficult to suggest how.

Last edited:
As above, more info would be useful sir.

And a photo of the room from where you’d normally sit to listen is useful too.

Hi,
Not wishing to 2nd guess your response to above colleagues, here are a few choices from Denon to get your musical tastebuds going!

Thanks, I can add these photos of my current Sony hifi system, and photo of the room to follow. I would consider adding an amp or new speakers and anything else definitely required. I just don't want to get rid of the base unit itself.

Again, treat me like an idiot as I have no idea. Previously I just bought this system and turned it on. I'm up for learning!

hifi2.jpg
Hifi1.jpg

Better speakers first and foremost. Without wishing to sound rude, anything is likely to be a big improvement.

Either of these two will be a big improvement.

If they fit where you like them to go, I’d suggest the second pair as they are a little easier to drive and the Sony is not over endowed.

But even so, replacing the speakers will be a great move.

Looking at the rear you have just one input left which is digital input. Looking at the photos, I can see what looks like a turntable which I'm guessing are the black and red cables plugged into the Sony.

Can I ask, are you wishing to just use music stored on your phone, or via another streaming service and I'll second what @the groundsman has said

This option might be what you are looking (iFi Audio ZEN) for as it has a digital output which would require a digital optical cable to. If you are placing it on top, a 0.5m should be fine, however if it's further away, you can get longer versions (Just try not to wrap it into a coil).

The budget question - That's hard to answer when I don't know how much anything costs. Sufficed to say more on the budget end, or happy to save up a bit if something is truly worth spending more on.

Looking at the rear you have just one input left which is digital input. Looking at the photos, I can see what looks like a turntable which I'm guessing are the black and red cables plugged into the Sony.

Can I ask, are you wishing to just use music stored on your phone, or via another streaming service and I'll second what @the groundsman has said
Yes, the black and red cables go to the small suitcase LP player (also could maybe upgrade this as I've recently started buying more LPs.

I would be streaming from Spotify rather than playing from my phone ideally

Better speakers first and foremost. Without wishing to sound rude, anything is likely to be a big improvement.

Either of these two will be a big improvement.

If they fit where you like them to go, I’d suggest the second pair as they are a little easier to drive and the Sony is not over endowed.

But even so, replacing the speakers will be a great move.
These speakers seem very reasonable - would they be OK placed either side of the hifi or is that still going to be a massive issue? I'm not really sure how people manage to run cables around between one corner and another without it looking unsightly or being a trip hazard!!

For a smaller budget then used is the only way to go.

Again, both of these will be appreciably better than your current speakers.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
These speakers seem very reasonable - would they be OK placed either side of the hifi or is that still going to be a massive issue? I'm not really sure how people manage to run cables around between one corner and another without it looking unsightly or being a trip hazard!!

Even beside the hifi they’d be better.

If you can lob on a photo of your room from your listening position it will be easier to suggest a means of placing them properly.

For a smaller budget then used is the only way to go.

Again, both of these will be appreciably better than your current speakers.
Thanks, I'll definitely look into these. I guess I naively thought Sony speakers would be pretty good. I mean they are ridiculously old now but still! This is why I've posted here!

Even beside the hifi they’d be better.

If you can lob on a photo of your room from your listening position it will be easier to suggest a means of placing them properly.
Yep, will do this later on. Thanks!

Yes, the black and red cables go to the small suitcase LP player (also could maybe upgrade this as I've recently started buying more LPs.

I would be streaming from Spotify rather than playing from my phone ideally
The parts I have mentioned will work fine with your Sony then as you will only require Bluetooth :)

As for Spotify, the only cheap way there was (without using Bluetooth) was the Chromecast Audio. But they are truly absurdly priced now.

The Zen Shane mentions is about the best Bluetooth about at sensible prices but it’s a bit overkill for the Sony.

Instead I’d go for one of these.

Amazon product ASIN B08H1RJCPG
More than good enough to stream to the Sony.

As for Spotify, the only cheap way there was (without using Bluetooth) was the Chromecast Audio. But they are truly absurdly priced now.

The Zen Shane mentions is about the best Bluetooth about at sensible prices but it’s a bit overkill for the Sony.

Instead I’d go for one of these.

Amazon product ASIN B08H1RJCPG
More than good enough to stream to the Sony.
Is that mains or battery powered

Looking at the specs your sony has phono and digital input. As suggested above a.bluetooth reciever with the appropriate output can be connected to the sony

Attachments

• IMG_20210121_181817.jpg
    IMG_20210121_181817.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 75
There isn't a huge amount of power so speakers that aren't too difficult to.drive would be suitable.

A pair of Mission lx 1 mark 2 would work. They are £189 new or the lx mark 1 for £50-£90 (none on ebay at the moment)

Do you listen to bass heavy music?

A small pair of speakers that don't need a lot of watts to sound good and a subwoofer would work without the worry of lack of power. Obviously this depends on budget and space.

I see your sony has spring clips so any cable (not too thick.so they fit) can be used. id replace the existing thin/bell wire.

before I read and answer all your queries, this is a pic of my front room (excuse the mess). As you can see there are shelves on both sides of the fireplace. Open plan the other end into dining room and kitchen.
lounge.jpg

There isn't a huge amount of power so speakers that aren't too difficult to.drive would be suitable.

A pair of Mission lx 1 mark 2 would work. They are £189 new or the lx mark 1 for £50-£90 (none on ebay at the moment)

Do you listen to bass heavy music?

A small pair of speakers that don't need a lot of watts to sound good and a subwoofer would work without the worry of lack of power. Obviously this depends on budget and space.

I see your sony has spring clips so any cable (not too thick.so they fit) can be used. id replace the existing thin/bell wire.
I do like a bit of bass (I love metal) but im sure my neighbour doesn't. Don't need it too bassy for that reason.
I'll set up a search notification on ebay - thanks

Its not clear where your main listening position is or how much floorspace or how deep the shelves are.

If you have space these wharfedale floorstanders would be at the sony units limit and shoild be a better match than the mission m72 in terms of minimum power requirement

A bargain at £52 if anywhere near you.

The mission m70 or m71 (smaller versions of the m72) have a lower minimum power rating.

Looking at the specs, im guessing speakers rated around 20 watts at 6 ohms or around 15 watts at 8ohms should just about be within limit.

If you dont have much shelf space a pair of wharfedale diamond 8.1 would also work. they are shallow.

as a starting point, are you able to place the speakers wider apart? wall mounting an option of there's no shelf space?

Assuming youd like to keep the sony unit in the same place, you can run a cable along the mantle piece (go for black or a dark.colour to hide easier) to the right and side of the chimney breast and keep the left speaker where it is or move away from the wall slightly.

Photo is taken from my listening position as requested above. It's a big corner sofa.

There is potentially room on the wall adjacent to stereo (left or right of stereo so maybe on chimney breast wall?) and on opposite wall next to TV for speakers but only if they were very narrow/flat. Not really any floor space.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom