Question Upgrading TV. PC Still required?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by lechacal, Aug 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    So my setup is as per my sig. When I bought this TV the networking capabilities were primitive as was the support for video file formats. So I have a PC, running JRiver Media Centre, that pipes all of my movies/series (ripped and stored on NAS, mostly in MKV format) to the TV via the receiver.

Going 4k and using the same architecture would mean a new PC and a new receiver would be required. My question is whether the media playing capabilities of the latest TVs would make the PC surplus? Are PCs redundant with the latest, more capable TVs? I'm envisaging a setup where I can hopefully keep my current receiver to handle digital audio from the TV, but it would no longer be handling video switching/upscaling. I'm more than happy with my audio setup. If this is viable then which manufacturers have the best software in this regard? If I still need a PC for media player functions this could get very expensive.

Thanks for any help.

2. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Smart services on TVs can drop very fast which I have known on Sony stuff.
    Though the TV should play media files fine.
    I have a Sony BDP-S370 which has no more smart services on any more though plugging in USB still works great for playing download stuff.

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    Basic answer is: you'll be surprised how little things have improved.

4. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks for your response Dodgexander but I don't really understand exactly what you're getting at.

Seems that relying on the TV isn't a great solution. Currently looking in the direction of the NVidia Shield and the Sony UBP X700. The disc spinner does a nice trick of splitting audio and video outputs but neither looks perfect.

Sorry I ended up posting this thread in the wrong forum. I haven't been here a long time and only realised there was somewhere more appropriate too late.

5. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,658
    With TVs , the inbuilt media players usually have limited playback capabilities in terms of formats playable.
    If there is a plex client app on board the TV a lot of content still needs to be transcoded.

By far the best option for file based playback is a device like the shield in between the TV and Nas.

Even the most advanced smart TV on board media player still lags way behind the likes of the shield or similar black box media player.
    TVs just dont have the processor power yet to provide a comprehensive media playback platform.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    I meant simply what was explained by Andy above. TV's still aren't good enough to support multiple formats, they haven't really got that much better than years ago in this respect.

You can always try the TV to play back stuff and if you run into problems you can get a designated media playback device.

Blu-Ray players are the same with format support as TV's, you can't really use them to playback multiple formats.

I choose a Zidoo android box for playback and it plays everything I throw at it, you could still use an htpc too.
    Getting a player with multiple HDMI outputs is something I looked at too. The best android boxes with them are buggy and expensive sadly.

7. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Yes, it looks like the Shield is better than the player at coping with different formats but if I want 4k HDR to the TV and surround audio I would then need to replace the receiver too. That said I can make sure I rip my 4k content to whatever format works for the player and keep playing my <4k stuff through the PC. The PC would be staying anyway for music playback at the very least because I rely on some stuff JRiver does.
    Cheers.

8. GreywolfinCZ

GreywolfinCZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I had several Samsung's in the family and especially the newer ones were pretty skilled to play any content, any format (music, video, subtitles) from HDD. I used Samsung KS series (2016) to send FLAC music to my Denon PMA-1600NE stereo amplifier and finally got rid of a CD player.. You can try and then decide if you still need PC hooked in. But I did not try NAS.
    Sony had problems with almost everything in 2016, even reading external HDD's. LG were in the middle in 2016.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    Certainly could try it first, biggest problem I think will be if you want surround audio at the same time. Using ARC to send it back to a receiver could be a problem because there's no HD audio support.

All the time you run a 4k TV without a new receiver you end up having annoying workarounds and problems, I should know I did it for a few months.

Its far better just to bite the bullet and get a new receiver, even if its just a cheap one just for updated format support.

10. GreywolfinCZ

GreywolfinCZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yes, I'm sorry I didn't realised this. It's getting complicated with surround audio.
    Since I prefer dedicated stereo this problem avoided me.

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    Strictly speaking with video and not audio I guess if you transcode on a server or you always make sure your file formats are supported then its fine, that is easy to do making your own rips of course.

Audio is passed on most TVs as the core data so thats standard dd 5.1 and DTS 5.1 apart from panasonic that don't support DTS at all.

So if you play back DTS HD or Atmos or whatever it will be streamed as standard non-HD audio.