Upgrading TV aerial system - what needs to be done.

mikehardy

Standard Member
Have two aerials outside - two TV's one freeview and one analogue. Live close to Malvern repeater so get a good signal using the system installed about 20 years ago when the house was built. One of the aerials has blown down during recent gales.

Question - Using the remaining aerial and a splitter will I be able to use both TV's at once? Is there any need to replace the existing aerial cable with HD100? If I rewire do I have to use 'F' connectors instead of normal co-ax connectors? Is there any point in changing the aerial to a 'wideband' digital type, as I am close to the repeater?

Thanks for any tips/comments. - Mike.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Firstly all aerials are neither analogue or digital. A TV aerial in the UK is a uhf aeria whether it's receiving a uhf channel carrying digital multiplexed channels or a single analogue channel is irrelevant. You may of course need a better aerial to receive digital where you are but that's down to lower power used for digital pre-dso. In very rare cases where a transmitter changes it's group at dso a new aerial may be needed. Whether a splitter will work depends entirely on how much signal you have in the first place. Simple answer try one they are cheap enough. F connected ones are of better quality and fully screened so it's better to use one if you can.

Widebands apart from log-periodics should be avoided unless your transmitter requires one due to poor performance at the lowe end of the uhf band.

lbear

You might also like to take the opportunity to upgrade the analogue set by adding a cheap and cheerful Freeview box in advance of DSO. Check that it has a SCART socket, if so any will do. If not, you will need one with an RF output. These are rarer and more expensive because of the need to include the extra circuits.

mikehardy

Standard Member
Thanks - Do I need to change the co-ax down lead to Ct/DT100 to prevent induction noise which I believe is a problem with digital reception?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thanks - Do I need to change the co-ax down lead to Ct/DT100 to prevent induction noise which I believe is a problem with digital reception?
Not if your picture is OK now. The cable is PF100/WF100 but it will only make a difference if your signal is very weak. As before try the splitter on it's own first.

Trending threads

Top Bottom