Upgrading to SSD

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by dannycelluk, Dec 23, 2011.

1. dannycelluk

dannycelluk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently built a new PC.

After buying a quiet case/fans i now realise how loud my HDD is and i would like to upgrade to SSD.

I have 2 HDD with Windows 7 installed on C: Drive.

Is there a way i can transfer all information from my C: drive onto my new SSD?

I have created a backup image and saved it to my D drive. Is it just a case of removing the C drive installing the SSD and then reloading the image from my D drive onto my C drive?

If so how would i do this?

Thanks

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    Yup, and you'd typically reload it through the same program you created the disk image with (it'll typically come with a bootable disk or instructions to create one).

3. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Having built your computer only recently I would still recommend a clean installation of Windows to a new SSD. Alignment is notoriously tricky with SSDs and you will be able to optimize your installation without the need for registry tweaks such at having trim enabled and AHCI mode in the BIOS.

4. hectorthedog

hectorthedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I would also recommend just backing up your files and then doing a completely clean install of Windows. It is not worth the hassle otherwise.

An SSD will change your computer like nothing else, I added a 60GB SSD to my PC last year and run a 500GB HD with it. I have now got a Crucial M4 256GB SSD which means I can finally get rid of the 500GB HD! Should have an absolutely silent system now (other than a very annoying buzz from my Z68 Gigabyte motherboard!)