Upgrading to sky Q from old hd box

karma12

Hi just upgrading my box to Sky q box no uhd subscription, will the box given to me be able to show 4k content if i choose to upgrade or will it just be a 1080p box with the sky Q thanks

teeveedee

You won't know for sure until you get the box, but it is most likely Sky will provide you with an older non-UHD box. They do this to try and make more money out of you in the long run as they'll charge you for an upgrade at a later date if you do decide you want UHD.

karma12

the cheeky how do they get away with still supplying the old box ?they told me its £99 for the UHD box ...can i buy that separately?

teeveedee

It's a way of them getting rid of a ton of old stock of original non-UHD boxes. Offer them free as upgrades to get people off Sky+HD, then get more money from you later to upgrade to UHD.
If you add multiscreen to your package you need to be careful too - as the old non-UHD boxes can only stream to one Q minibox at a time, whereas the newer UHD boxes can stream to two miniboxes at a time.
£99 is too much for the UHD box. When I switched from Sky+HD to Q I got the 2TB UHD box for free as I was switching from a 2TB +HD box and wanted the same amount of storage. I opted for the UHD pack at the same time though.
Existing Q subscribers who wanted the latest UHD HDR boxes were being charged £25 for the 1TB and £50 for the 2TB in the past year, this was as a self-install, swapping the old Q box for the newer one. As you will require an engineer visit (to swap the LNB on your dish as well as fit the box) you're being charged more I imagine.
It might be worth speaking to Sky again and trying to negotiate. It might be cheaper in the long run to add the UHD pack to your subscription (I pay £3pm for it) and see if they'll give you the UHD box for free.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom