upgrading to sky+ (cheapest way?)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ihaventaclue, Mar 4, 2005.

1. ihaventaclue

ihaventaclue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think its outrageous that sky think they can charge its existing customers £150 to upgrade to Sky+, and only charge £99 for new customers, if i treated my existing customers like this, i wouldn't have any left, has anyone out there had to cancel their subscription, then rejoin.
    are there other options, i saw on 1 thread someone thought about buying a pace box and doing it himself, i currently have the premium package, and a sagem HD-D45 and been told on another thread to make sure i get the pace and not the amstrad.

can someone please tell me if there is an inexpensive what of upgrading to Sky+, without having to put too much towards ruperts next yacht.

many thanks

2. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I cancelled my Sky contract over 2 years ago and when I recently returned (due to a difference of opinion with ntl over value for money) Sky still classed me as an "existing customer!" "Once you've had subsidised equipment you can't have it a 2nd time." They cover the, take out a subscription in the wife's name, angle too! I too was forced to pay £149 and I think to be honest you'll struggle to do it cheaper. You might pick up a 2nd hand box on the auction sites for instance, but they're fetching upwards of £120 and then theres no warranty and you'll still have to pay for installation or DIY.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. Unless of course someone can offer an alternative solution.......I'll be gutted if they do, as I researched this issue in depth before taking the £149 plunge.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    £150 is not such a bad price if you compare the cost of a Sky+ box to a similar PVR system with twin tuners. And (before you ask), no I don't work for Sky and I never have :cool:

4. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Existing cutomers are penalised in other mediums, just look at the Banking and Mortgage Industry. To be fair to SKY, they have eliminated the £10 subscription fee for most existing customers, and reduced the cost of a second box facility. Compared with the cost of other high end av equipment, SKY+ is excellent value at £150.

5. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I tend to agree it's not such a bad price in the grand scheme of things, it's just annoying that a new customer is entitled to a better deal than a loyal long standing customer (I don't class myself as loyal or long standing by the way, but then that is the fault of 1st Sky 2 years ago and more recently ntl). I fell out with ntl for exactly the same reason, new customers getting free incentives whilst existing customers get no incentive for their loyalty. It seems to me to make far more economic sense to retain a customer than lose him/her for 1, 2, 3 years or more and continually ply them with mail shots to win back their custom!

When will they all learn it's simplicity itself, "Do unto others as you would have them do to you." Or somethin' like that, you get my drift, just wish these organisations would. Provide a good product, which Sky have, at a reasonable price, well.........it's cheaper than ntl! and consistantly good customer service (they struggle on this one - all of them!)...Simple! :thumbsup:

6. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My wife has a different surname to mine and we have various bank accounts, so it wasn't a problem to get a new "free" box when mine failed.

7. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just looked at the Sjy site and the £150 deal is for exisitng customers who take out the multiroom subscription as well at £10pm. Total cost £270.

Other option, without multiroom is £199 for box and £60 installation i.e. £259.

So for £11 you get multiroom for a year.

If you don't want multiroom you can source your box from http://www.simplydigital.co.uk/acatalog/Sky_Plus_Receivers.html for £169 including the Qual LNB, add an extra cable for about £20 tops and your away. You could then sell your old box on a well known auction site and your quids in. You are also guaranteed a PACE box which you are not if you go via Sky.

HTH

Wackojacko32

8. ihaventaclue

ihaventaclue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for everybodies input. looks like i'll be stumping up £150, i can't be ar***d to change my name by deed poll to become a new customer, i might ring and have a go though, it can't hurt can it ;) ;)
    many thanks
    al

9. Maximus1633

Maximus1633
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there i was in the same boat as you I wanted to upgrade to sky+ but after reading all the different post on this site i gave the I’m going to cancel my account a go yesterday the guy i spoke to just kept saying he could not let me get sky+ for £99 but did i want multi room i told him no i was not interested. Just put me through to the canceling department. He said ok are you sure and kept saying this to me. I said yes cancel my account as i cannot afford multi room £150 or £199 just £99. He then said ok I can give you sky+ with multi room for £99 if that’s ok i. OK ill go for that then. :D Install date this Tuesday 8th. :clap: So give it a go it’s worth a try. If the person you speak to won't let you keep ringing back till you get someone that will. I Just hope it’s a pace box they install :thumbsup:

10. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Congrats that you managed to get them to back down. Just make sure that they don't fob you off with a refurb (brown un-marked box) as I consider that a pretty cheeky sky tactic.

11. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I know all that's been said about Amstrad boxes in the past but at some point they have to sit up and listen (don't they!). As was pointed out to me in another thread, when I voiced my concerns about being "Stuck" with an Amstrad box last week....Sky had problems with the Pace boxes in the past and sorted that out....eventually.

I got an Amstrad box last week and have not had a great deal of time to assess it. However, up until tonight on what few viewings I had, I couldn't see a problem. Iv'e watched live football and tonight I gave it a good go and watched "Finding Nemo" (again!!) with my daughter, on the Disney Channel and 2 episodes of 24 on Sky1........The picture was fine, better than fine in fact, it was excellent and the response times from the remote for the menu/banners is instantaneous.

So stop worrying...............they may have got it SORTED (as we say in Manchester).

If it aint up to the task once you've got it, THEN complain and complain and complain until something gets done.

I asked the engineer.......sorry......"Installation Technician" if he had a Pace box, he just grinned and said Nope! I said, "You do know you'll be coming back?" He said, "Maybe!"

But, on the evidence so far I don't think he will! :clap:

12. ihaventaclue

ihaventaclue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could of really pushed the boat out and insisted on a pace box as well, sounds like you had this guy on the run.
    i don't suppose you got his name?

13. Maximus1633

Maximus1633
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No i did not get his name :lesson: But have since checked my credit card and £99 is all they took so just wait till tomorrow see what box i get. I will let you no how i get on. why don't you try it nothing to loose only sky+ to gain.

14. Algor777

Algor777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I don't want multiroom can I have just a Sky+ box in addition to my existing Sky box - one in the front room and one in the rear room or upstairs?

This will give me clear signals in both rooms. Will Sky allow this?

15. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :confused: That is multi-room. Unless I've mis-understood what you've said.

16. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't mind the £150 charge, but I don't want to give them an extra £10 for multiroom when I don't have any intention (or need) to use it.

I might try and wangle that out of them.

17. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify everything re £99 for new customers & £149.00 for existing customers for Sky+. I too brought this up with Sky last week and was told by a very helpful woman that if you read the terms & conditions carefully you will see that the £99 deal is for a re-con box not a new box.It is not clear on the website and pointed this out to her and she said she'd look into it. So be warned for £99 it may be a re-con, I personally rather pay £149 and have a new one, but thats just mu opinion

18. gavintennant

gavintennant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi... my tuppence to this...
    took 4 phone calls to sky today but got the result in the end.. kind of. I've also been offered the £99 + multiroom for a year. I may find a use for it... But.. as ladypickers points out, it is indeed for the re-furb box. I've even been told it's the black one with silver middle bit (I'm guessing a Pace V1) so now I'm trawling thorugh here to find out the problems I'm probably going to have..... Maybe phone them up and relent to the 149.... I dunno.. I've had sky for 5 years and never thought or even wanted to have multiroom.... he he.. I even tried the... " I live in a bedsit.. it only has one room.... Didn;t work.... but worth a try!! Midn you, ordered it finally at 5.30 today and they coming to install on Friday... can;t fault that!

maximus... what did you get in the end??

ta.
    Gav

edit: just out of curiosity. As I said, thinking about just giving them the bl**dy money to ensure a new box... But.... Say I cancelled in the first 30 days, would they also take out the quad lnb?? just assuming I get Pace box from simplydigital or something?? anyone have any experience on this?

19. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The £99 deal for new customers is definately a new box, I had two new Amstrads b4 they replaced it with a new PACE box. Sky must be supplying recon boxes to existing customers who instist on the £99 deal.

Wackojacko32

20. dave_myth_magic

dave_myth_magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Two points to add to the thread...Point One - I too recently had Sky+ and multiroom installed and I managed to negotiate a free service call on my old (Amstrad digibox)which was playing up and needed sorting (normally it would cost £65 for a service call!!) - so I went for the new sky+ box deal for £149, but financially that worked out well, as effectively I paid less than the £99 for the new box.( new box £149 - service call costof £65 = new box cost of £84!! :)

Secondly........ What I did find out whilst trying to negotiate with them during several calls over two days, is that if you say that you phoned yesterday and was offered a refurbished box at £99 plus mutltiroom, then you get it installed free, as per the £149 deal but also, should it go "wrong" at all, then you place a service call (will cost £65) and they will replace it apparently with a new Sky+ box...so there is another route that at least gives you the chance of a decent box (refurb Pace hopefully) for a cheaper cost and if it is an Amstrad and fails then for effectively an extra £15 (£99 +£65 = £164 - £149 = £15), you get a new box....as long as what the sales rep on the phone said is correct!!... :lesson:

Hope this helps

Dave

21. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I do not believe that there is any difference electronically, between the Pace SKY+ box V1& V2, apart from the fact that the latter is smaller, and more silvery. I use the VI box with my TAG equipment as it is a similar size, colour and design. In two years of constant use the VI has worked fine, so unless space is at a premium, and the refurbished VI is cheaper, go for it, and save the pennies for the HDTV version when it is available.

22. ihaventaclue

ihaventaclue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it worth upgrading now, or should i wait as i have the sagem HD-D45 dlp tv which is as you can probably tell by the name hd ready, and i can't wait to see how much sky are going to sting us for that. :rotfl:

23. Maximus1633

Maximus1633
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there I have been buzy recording on sky+ and planning my viewing. So have not had time to reply. Here is how it went Tuesday 8th install day :clap: £99 Sky+ multiroom (im already a customer) i was a bit worried as to what box i would get. Sky engineer called about 11.30am. He brought with him what ive since found out to be a V1 pace box. I was chuffed it was a pace box phew :D I checked it out and it was in a sealed box with pictures on and said SKY+ Pace 3000. The box looked brand new broke the seals on the box and every thing inside the box was plastic wraped and sealed up all looked brand new. Anyway install went ok helped the young lad install it and asked him if he worked for sky or was on contract. He said he was on contract to them. Asked him if the the box was a refurb and he said no its brand new. Anyway box worked ok then about 1hour after he had left it stoped recording and would not lockout on signal 2. Read on here it could be the hard drive failing :rolleyes: did system house keep but still did the same :rolleyes: So i phoned SKY they wanted the version of the software this was found to be old. Did a software update and all has been great ever since :thumbsup: I have been planning and recording ever since. It was one of the very last V1 pace boxs so i can update the hard drive :D

24. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had a similar performace with Telewest. New customers get discount offers and free connection, existing customers get charged full whack for an upgrade to digital and a connection fee.

I spoke with one girl and she said she could not waive the connect fee and that as there was already a connection at this address then there could not be another.

I said that someone else in this house wanted their own box, and that this other person would be either a tenant lodger that I would partition the house off for, or would be my estranged wife as we are separating. I asked to cancel my cable and to arrange a new connection for this other person. This other person would also want one of my phone numbers transferred to them,and cable routed to the back of the house for free.
    The girl said that it seemed a lot of trouble just to save a few £'s. I said it was "not for me, but it was for you".

Anyway, she put me through to disconnections, and I went through the whole rigmorole again. This other girl agreed that it was a stupid thing to have to do, and she asked if it would be easier if she just upgraded me and waived the connection fee.!

Hallelujah!