1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to Separates, Recommendations?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HAILOS, Nov 13, 2004.

1. HAILOS

HAILOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Recommendations....
    Ok, after getting into Home cinema, and learning the limits I have with my old pioneer 303 all in one system, I've decided to go down the separates lane.
    Especially after learning the limits of my system, when compared to putting the sound through my Cheap Phillips Midi ! range of Bass, tone, and overall frequency, just sounds crap :mad:
    I'm looking to spend £300-400 for reciever/amp, and similar for speakers.
    Would it be worth considering the budget Amp/recievers, or worth spending that bit more ?
    Obviously, if I'd justify spending a bit more, if the result was really noticable and worth it.
    And speakers ? I like the idea of floor standers, but are there limits on placement of them?. I read somewhere that some needed clearance at the rear, which would not be so good for my set up.
    I understand I need to listen for myself, but advice here will help me shorten the list. So far, the Yamahas have caught my attention...ie 750, 1400/1500
    Thanks for your advice guys !! :thumbsup:

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Hailos,
    I can only really offer advice on the speaker side of things.
    A lot (as you've already worked out) depends on the size of your room and positioning. As a general rule it is not good to have any speaker close to a wall or worse, in a corner. The sound is reflected and 'Booms' off the walls. Speakers with front firing ports are better if you have to have them near walls. Even then, the further away the better.
    £ for £ you'll get a better speaker for your money with a standmount, the quality of the cones and drivers will be better. In the right room (Smaller) a good standmount can sound a lot better than a similarly priced Floorstander.
    I would look to put more of the budget into the amp than the speakers.
    HTH