1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading to pj, but no clue

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dr.Scanlan, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Dr.Scanlan

Dr.Scanlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry if this is a common question, but Im upgrading to a PJ from 42" w/s tv, and I haven't a clue what to get.

The first hurdle is LCD or DLP? I can hold off and save a bit more for a DLP if its worth it, or is something like the PT-AE 500 or Z2 on the LCD end a decent buy? Which of those 2 LCD's is best for your pound?

My room is approx 12'x14' and I'm think ing of doing the whole home theatre transformation thing, so a Projector is required.

So, I have budgeted about £2750 for the PJ, and would greatly appreciate any advice for LCD and/or DLP at this price.

Thanks !!!!:thumbsup:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you seen a DLP yet? Dont make any decisions until you have. You could go into lyric hifi, they will have the likes of the SIM domino (above your budget i guess) which is dlp and you can at least see if the usual dlp artefacts bother you.....

all the best

ad

3. tdk1967

tdk1967
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if u suffer from dlp rainbows then lcd would be the option but lcd has some good points mainly detail,resolution and colour the blacks may not be true black in dark scenes but the image comes to life with the detail and resolution u wont be disapointed i promise

4. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Try Flicks in Bangor as well ....Jim

5. Dr.Scanlan

Dr.Scanlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info...I have plenty to get my teeth into now...I'll post any progress I make incase your intrested...

Thx again,

Mike:thumbsup:

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Always interested to hear about local cinema setups! Have fun!

ad

7. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Go with the Themescene H56 plus a decent screen, you could get this easily in your budget

8. Truecelt

Truecelt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also based in Belfast. Not a great deal of shops to demo equipment. However, use the forum, and your own judgement and have no fear of ordering from some of the online retailers you hear mentioned on the forum regularly. I purchased my Panasonic PJ online from Techtronics and I have used Nexnix. Usually charged a few pounds extra for delivery to Ireland but I have never had any probs and most of the retailers are available on the phone. The Techtronics webpage is also "manned" live meaning you can ask questions and check availability of stock via a chat facility there and then. Good Luck