Upgrading to O2 iphone through mobiles.co.uk

Airframe5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, please could you help?

On Tuesday I upgraded from O2 Simplicity (Nokia 6600i) to Pay monthly Iphone4 through mobiles.co.uk. The phone arrived yesterday with a microsim pack. So far so good and I set up the phone in the following sequence;

1. I followed the 'swapmysim' instructions on the envelope containing the microsim.

2. I loaded the sim in the phone, successfully synced with my macbook and registered the phone (in itunes).

3. By the following morning my old nokia lost an O2 signal as expected and after restarting the iphone (following a call to o2 customer services) the iphone came to life.

However O2 informed me that my phone number is still linked to the old Simplicity account with no record of a switch to a pay monthly iphone tariff.

On checking My O2 online account this evening my account/billing info is still unchanged. In a further call to a (not so helpful) O2 customer service advisor, they insist I contact mobiles.co.uk to resolve, claiming there is nothing they can do.

I have been unable to get through to mobiles.co.uk by telephone and now a little concerned and confused. Have I set up the iphone correctly?...Would it be fair to expect a delay in the transfer of account details?....... Is it right that o2 should refuse to advise on this matter?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

If the upgrade was done by mobiles.co.uk you need to speak to them. They may not have notified O2 about the tariff change or......it's called slamming and some unscrupulace dealers will set you up on a brand new contract when they say it's a renewal or an upgrade of your existing one. Not suggesting mobiles.co.uk condone such behaviour but I'd check with them and get them to confirm what they've done.

I personally found Mobiles.co.uk dreadful to deal with so good luck with that.

On the matter here are you saying your number has transferred to the new microsim but are still on the sim only tariff ? Or have you got a totally new number ? I would check your paper work but if you have your existing number is on the new sim and paper work checks out then I would wait a week or so.

Hi, yes I went through the 'swapmysim' page on O2 and the iphone works and it is still the same number. But my account information at MyO2 still shows I am on the monthly simplicity tariff i have been on since mid 2009. Is it just possible these things take time? Previously i have always upgraded directly with O2 and it was instant.

I just checked myO2 account online and still says simplicity £10pm and shows a free internet bolt on (don't remember having this!). O2 don't want to know, mobiles.co.uk don't want to answer the phone....Could I just sit back it and enjoy that I now have an new iphone4 for £79 (after quidco) and still paying only £10p/m.

Hi, yes I went through the 'swapmysim' page on O2 and the iphone works and it is still the same number. But my account information at MyO2 still shows I am on the monthly simplicity tariff i have been on since mid 2009. Is it just possible these things take time? Previously i have always upgraded directly with O2 and it was instant.

I just checked myO2 account online and still says simplicity £10pm and shows a free internet bolt on (don't remember having this!). O2 don't want to know, mobiles.co.uk don't want to answer the phone....Could I just sit back it and enjoy that I now have an new iphone4 for £79 (after quidco) and still paying only £10p/m.

Proving a new contract has not been started in your name by mobiles I would sit tight and see what develops.

Hi,

Sorry you haven't been able to get hold of us through the customer care line. This is quite odd as you Sim has swapped to the new micro Sim. O2 have to process this for us and we would have passed the details of both the upgrade and tariff change to O2 at the same time.

If you could go here and fill out the on line form explaining the issue one of our customer care team will be able to find out why O2 haven't swapped the tariff for you.

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. Before reading your post I got through (eventually) to customer services at mobiles.co.uk, the lady I spoke to informed me that I should wait for at least another week or two before getting in touch again as there can be a delay in sending the upgrade info to o2. I found that difficult to believe and to be quite honest I felt she too was not confident in her statement. I have given both parties the opportunity to sort out this issue on more than one occasion now, so although I understand mistakes can happen I am a little frustrated by the inconvenience.

we would have passed the details of both the upgrade and tariff change to O2 at the same time

It seems to me like you have passed on neither?

one of our customer care team will be able to find out why O2 haven't swapped the tariff for you.

O2 tell me they have had nothing from you.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi James,

I went into a branch of CarphoneWarehouse today to see if they could shed any light on the situation. They checked on the system and it confirmed there was an error transferring the tariff over. They contacted mobiles.co.uk whilst I was in store and they informed that there was problems with o2 upgrades and advised to be patient as it may take 2 weeks to resolve. They claim details are being sent to o2 however they are aware of problems with upgrade details o2 return to them. Do you know anything about this?

Regards

Seems like mobiles.co.uk James is adhering to company policy!

Still no tariff upgrade! Another 70 min wait to speak to these clowns and they suggest I wait another week for connection or return the phone at my convenience :laugh:

Last edited:
I had the misfortune of ordering a phone from this company, and had similar problems. They were EVENTUALLY sorted out, but the customer service was atrocious and I would definitely not use them again, I hope your situation is resolved ASAP:smashin:

Seems like mobiles.co.uk James is adhering to company policy!

Still no tariff upgrade! Another 70 min wait to speak to these clowns and they suggest I wait another week for connection or return the phone at my convenience :laugh:

Hi, did this ever get sorted and if so how long did it take? I've just done an upgrade on o2 through mobiles.co.uk and though I've received the phone I've just said I've had an email saying they're having issues processing my upgrade..... *sigh*.

Why do people use companies like this? What benefit do you get as opposed to going direct to O2 etc?

Hi, did this ever get sorted and if so how long did it take? I've just done an upgrade on o2 through mobiles.co.uk and though I've received the phone I've just said I've had an email saying they're having issues processing my upgrade..... *sigh*.

Eventually......I gave up ringing them and after about 6 weeks I got a text & letter and the transfer was processed! Just watch your call/data usage during this period as you will still be on your old tariff.

Why do people use companies like this? What benefit do you get as opposed to going direct to O2 etc?

Simply down to handset price + the £100 quidco incentive, which they still have not honoured! Previously I always contacted O2 direct for my upgrades, but as no incentives were offered on the iphone at that time I thought I would give this outfit a try. They are associated to carphonewarehouse group so I thought they can't be that bad..... A lesson learnt for me!

Last edited:
Eventually......I gave up ringing them and after about 6 weeks I got a text & letter and the transfer was processed! Just watch your call/data usage during this period as you will still be on your old tariff.

:facepalm: Yeah pretty much what they've said to me. I suppose it's better for them to be a bit more on the ball this time round instead of expecting me to do the leg work. Hopefully it'll take less than 6 weeks! On mobiles.co.uk there was some info on a page about upgrades saying "if you originally took your contract out with the Carphone Warehouse on O2 directly you are unable to upgrade your contract with us" I took my original mobile phone contract out in 1998 with Carphone Warehouse (it's amazing they've never rebranded) though I've upgraded it with o2 tons of times since then.

Simply down to handset price + the £100 quidco incentive, which they still have not honoured! Previously I always contacted O2 direct for my upgrades, but as no incentives were offered on the iphone at that time I thought I would give this outfit a try. They are associated to carphonewarehouse group so I thought they can't be that bad..... A lesson learnt for me!

True, incentives on upgrades have been few and far between lately (I actually bought my last phone outright years ago). The quidco cashback offer is temporarily up to £120 which makes it worth it for a change. I think mobiles.co.uk have changed their referal partner with quidco based on quidco's facebook as a lot of others also had issues with the old one. Have you asked quidco to investigate the matter?

True, incentives on upgrades have been few and far between lately (I actually bought my last phone outright years ago). The quidco cashback offer is temporarily up to £120 which makes it worth it for a change. I think mobiles.co.uk have changed their referal partner with quidco based on quidco's facebook as a lot of others also had issues with the old one. Have you asked quidco to investigate the matter?

Yep, but they keep responding that mobiles.co.uk are having problems with their affiliate network and quidco are working with them to resolve the issue. I challenged that there stats show 100% paid within 60 days.

Well looking at my o2 account online the other day it would appear I'm on the new iPhone tariff, I've not had anything from mobiles.co.uk to say they've sorted the problem though. Today I got an email from them asking if everything was okay with my new tarif. :confused:

Well looking at my o2 account online the other day it would appear I'm on the new iPhone tariff, I've not had anything from mobiles.co.uk to say they've sorted the problem though. Today I got an email from them asking if everything was okay with my new tarif. :confused:

Thats good news! sounds like the upgrade has been processed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom