Upgrading to Intel i5 2500K

martyn3000

I've just decided to treat myself for Christmas and upgrade to an Intel 2500K and ASUS Z68 mother board :D

Exact spec-

Intel i5 2500K 3.3GHZ Retail CPU
Asus P8Z68-V LX Motherboard

I am upgrading from-

AMD Phenom 955
Asus AM3 Motherboard

Components I'm keeping-

OCZ StealthXtreme 600W PSU
Gigabyte 560Ti OC
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHZ CL9 1.5V
WD 500GB
Samsung F3 1TB
Samsung Blu-Ray drive
Fractal Design R3 Case
BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced CPU cooler (as long as I can find the Intel mounting bracket)

I assume all will be compatible with my new components. Is there anything I need to know? I'm hoping to get a healthy overclock.

The parts should be arriving tomorrow, I will try and take photos as I go and make some sort of build log.

Last edited:

martyn3000

Yes, both drives are SATA

martyn3000

No one said I would have to do a fresh install of Windows :(

As cold play said "nobody said it would be this hard"

shadowboxer

Yes, I'm afraid you'd need to do a fresh install of Windows. I personally wouldn't have bothered upgrading from your 955 but instead overclocked it and tired to push it to 4.0GHz and added in a nice SSD, then waited to see how Ivy Bridge performs.

What do you use your PC for?

martyn3000

I just fancied an upgrade really. Had my Phenom 955 for a few years, so I was due an upgrade.

I mainly use my PC for media playing (1080p/720p movies, music) and gaming (Battlefield 3, Crysis 2 etc)

I imagine ivybridge will be pretty pricey when it's released...

shadowboxer

Should see a nice boost in performance going to SB. Quite a few people have made the jump from AM3 Phenom II X4's to the i5 2500K and have been very impressed by it. The only reason I mention IB was that it is now only a couple of months away. Enjoy.

martyn3000

Not got round to installing any of my games yet, but from what I hear they should all run a lot better. I want to try and max BF3.

Here's hoping IB CPU's and motherboards will be on the pricey side so I won't be kicking myself.

Is there much difference in performance with the equivalent IB CPU?

shadowboxer

I doubt it. Should see a decent improvement with games like BF3 and Crysis 2. IB will probably be about 10% quicker or so. No real benchmarks outs just yet. Remember if you get a Gen3. motherboard, with a BIOS update your current motherboard will accomodate IB CPUs.

martyn3000

is my Asus P8Z68-V LX a Gen3 board?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom