Question Upgrading to HDR and HDCP2.2

Such

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my denon 5200 to a recent version which is HDR and HDCP2.2 compatible.

I currently have UHD blu ray connected direct to TV with hdmi2 to denon for sound.
I have another blu ray player connected to the denon, with the second hdmi output from the denon to a 1080p PJ, which is the only way to watch normal blu ray on the PJ

UHD blu rays are watched on the TV currently.

If i got any newer amp such as marantz 7011, can i just have the UHD blu ray connected direct to the amp and keep the amp output to the TV and PJ or does every hdmi out have to be connected to a hdcp2.2 compliant device?
I'm hoping the amp will output the correct format dependant upon the resolution of the connected device so I can ditch the other blu ray player and just use the UHD for TV (4k) and PJ for non 4k

Thanks

You may have to turn the PJ off at the mains while viewing HDCP 2.2 encoded content on the TV? HDMI still broadcasts its presence and a devices EDID while in standby so the PJ could still influence what is being output from a source even while not in use and in standby.

Thanks Dante, I knew i could rely on you for your expertise :smashin:
Will I be able to play a uhd blu ray and watch on the pj with it being output at 1080p?
I'm hoping to just have the one player connected

Thanks Dante, I knew i could rely on you for your expertise :smashin:
Will I be able to play a uhd blu ray and watch on the pj with it being output at 1080p?
I'm hoping to just have the one player connected

Yes, but you wilcan have both your UHD and your HD players connected to the receiver. You may simply need to turn the PJ off at the mains though if wanting to view UHD content played by the UHD player on your TV. Other options include introducing an HDFury between the PJ and the receiver to surpress the HDCP 2.2 requirement your PJ lacks.

HDMI 5v lines purpose is to power the EDID circuitry in the sink device.
So turning off at the mains wont solve anything as long as the HDMI cable is still connected.

If there are issues then a fury will help or a HDMI switch in the feed to the projector so you can switch that line out of circuit when its not required.

Last edited:
so its upgrade amp or hd fury. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a marantz 7011 or denon 6300

thanks

so its upgrade amp or hd fury. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a marantz 7011 or denon 6300

thanks

The comparable Denon model to the Marantz SR7011 is the AVRX4300. Only consider the AVRX6300 if you want an integrated 11 channel receiver.

Actually, I don't need the 6300 as I have a Nak 5 channel power amp doing 5 channels.
I would have thought the 4300 my have been a bit of a downgrade compared to my 5200?

Actually, I don't need the 6300 as I have a Nak 5 channel power amp doing 5 channels.
I would have thought the 4300 my have been a bit of a downgrade compared to my 5200?

The only real downside would be the power output, but if using external amplification then this isn't an issue. The DACs are the same as is the Audyssey room EQ. You get much the same cabilities from both receivers.

Thanks Dante, I would not have considered the 4300. You may well have just saved me a few quid!

I just need to sell my 5200 now....

All the best

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom