Upgrading to HDMI????

100949football

Have an old but excellent Sony STR-DB925 with surround sound 5.1 speakers.
Delighted with it but have now upgraded to HDMI equipped Blu Ray and HD Player along with soon-to-be-fitted Virgin V+ HD receiver.
Would I benefit from ditching the Sony and going for a designated HDMI equipped amp?
If so, which one - budget £5.00 (for the wife's benefit)!:lesson::lesson:

dante01

Distinguished Member
… have now upgraded to HDMI equipped Blu Ray and HD Player along with soon-to-be-fitted Virgin V+ HD receiver.
Would I benefit from ditching the Sony and going for a designated HDMI equipped amp?
If so, which one - budget £5.00 (for the wife's

Your life would be much easier when connecting things up and you'll get a few addional bonuses such as HD audio for your £500 budget.

The Sony STRDA2400ES would suit your needs, but it is in very short supply right now and you may experience some difficulty getting your hands on one?

There's the new OnkyoTXSR607, the jury seems to be out on this one though and there's not much opinion one way or the other.

The Yamaha RXV565 comes up trumps sound wise, but has a rather cheap build quality.

I'd probably wait to see what the Denon AVR-1910 has to offer. This is due out in the UK sometime over the next two months.

mbell

Yes, you will benefit by upgrading.

HDMI will allow you to view Blu-Ray movies at 1080p and the picture should be pin-sharp (so long as your TV has an HDMI input).

Also, many Blu-Ray movies have high-definition audio that isn't available by using a traditional optical or coax cable. HDMI can send hi-def audio to a suitably equipped AV amp.

I'm afraid you won't find much on offer with a budget of £5, though!

100949football

HDMI will allow you to view Blu-Ray movies at 1080p and the picture should be pin-sharp (so long as your TV has an HDMI input).

Also, many Blu-Ray movies have high-definition audio that isn't available by using a traditional optical or coax cable. HDMI can send hi-def audio to a suitably equipped AV amp.

Thanks Mate......the £5.00 is for the missus' benefit!!!!!!;);););)

100949football

Have Panasonic PH-50PZ80P 1080p fella for tv which has 3 x HDMI (two behind - one in front) for video....it was really the audio I was trying to sort out.
I presume, excuse my ignorance, but I could connect my Blu Ray / HD Player / Virgin + box / plus Topfield 5800 all to a suitable HDMI amp and run 1 x HDMI out from the amp to the Panasonic tv doing the switching from the HDMI amp.
I'm looking at the Sony 720 or /820 but I'm told these are now becoming obsolete / discontinued but, with pennies tight I reckon these could prove value for money.....would I be correct in my reckoning?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Yes but as the Sony 820 (rare) doesn't perform video upconversion, you would need to connect the Topfield directly to the TV using SCART (RGB). The 720 wasn't sold in UK(Europe) IIRC. On amps that perform upconversion from analogue to HDMI, you would need to either compromise on the picture quality by using s-video via the amp or convert the RGB SCART output to Component video, which amps can accept using a suitable converter e.g. JS-Technology or QED. These cost around £60. SCART sources are best connected directly to the TV for video and use the amp for audio only unless you absolutely have to.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If you really want a STRDG820, you better be fast. Richer Sounds have secured themselves new stocks, but doubt they'll have them for very long:

SONY STRDG820-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

They are now unfortunately selling them for £300! That's £70 more than the previous price and £20 more than the STRDH800 which is intended as a replacement for the STRDG820.

Play.com are taking pre orders for the STRDH800, which isn't yet available in the UK:

Play.com (UK) : Sony STR-DH800 Receiver : Electronics - Free Delivery

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom