Upgrading to HD. Can i use my old box upstairs?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by sixx, Feb 1, 2009.

1. sixx

sixx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi. I've been a Sky subscriber for about 6 years now with basic channels and a Sky digibox (No fancy Sky+ for me)

I've decided to take advantage of the new cheap HD offer and finally upgrade. I'm also getting a new 42" 1080p TV so my current 37" TV is going to have a new home in my loft room. When my new HD box is installed will i be able to have my old digibox rigged up in my loft room? I'm not bothered about only being able to watch the same channel thats on downstairs, and i certainly dont want multiroom. I have a phoneline in the loft but no aerial wall socket. So what are my options?

I've looked at a couple of 5.8 ghz AV senders but i dont want to be outlaying to much money. so wondered if there was another alternative?

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    The existing box would be of no use to you up in the loft room unless it had it's own satellite feed.

The Sky installers would do this for you if you were taking out a multi-room subscription, but of course you've said you don't want that. As an alternative, you could arrange for an independant installer to hook a feed up for you (or do it yourself if you want) and buy a 'Freesat from Sky' card for £20 and use it for that.

3. sixx

sixx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks, Might have to look into getting an AV sender then, or my 37" TV does have built in freeview so i can try getting that on an indoor aerial. Just want more of a choice of channels in the loft.

4. sixx

sixx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just bit the bullet and went down to maplins for a 5.8ghz av sender and i'm very impressed. Even though I'm sending the signal 2 floors up its crystal clear up in the loft. No sound interference either. The only downside is I cant change channel upstairs.