Answered Upgrading to an HD box but keeping the old SD Box

efunc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've read the previous threads on this popular topic, however had a specific question that I didn't see already answered.

I have Sky SD subscription with 'Variety' and 'Sports' packages and an older Sky+ SD box. I've just bought a 'used' Amstrad DRX890W HD box which I would like to use with my existing SD subscription, which I understand I could achieve by pairing the new HD box with my existing card. I have a question about the programmes stored on the old Sky+ however. I understand that once I pair my card with the new box it will no longer recognise the old one. That's OK because I intend to use it as a freesat box in the kitchen without the card inserted, however I want to be able to access the media recorded on it eventually. Can I still record this off to DVD by using the viewing card later, even after I've paired it with the new HD box?

I'm aware of the freeware app to copy the drive to the new box, but would like to hear of other options first (no PC or Sata enclosure). Thanks for any advice.

You can get it paired again later and record to DVD, then pair back again to the new machine.

I see, OK, thanks. So basically, while it's not paired I won't be able to access the recorded content (even if the old card is inserted)? I guess that's fine if I can pair it and unpair it myself at will, several times a day perhaps. A little less convenient than ideal, but I can live with it until I slowly record all the stuff off. Thanks for your help.

It depends what material is recorded on the old Sky+ box. If it is FTA stuff (non subscription channels like BBC and ITV) then it should be playable back just by putting the card in the box - the card tells the box that Sky+ is active, but the card and box don't need pairing to be able to play it back. If the recorded material is subscription channels then the card and box will need pairing to be able to play them back.

If the recorded material is subscription channels then the card and box will need pairing to be able to play them back.

You used to be able to watch non 'premium' subscription channels with an unpaired card.

Sky cards - using in other Sky boxes, pairing, etc | AVForums

I'm not sure if Sky's most recent encryption changes have changed this. Whatever happens Sky are unlikely to re-pair cards multiple times in a short period, let alone the same day.

I got rid of sky a while back, but i do remember that all sky+ features at the time were dependant on a subscription and when I cancelled, none of the content recorded was playable, regardless of the channel it came from!

I guess that's fine if I can pair it and unpair it myself at will, several times a day perhaps.
It needs to be done with a call to Sky, and they won't do it several times a day, or several times at all!
Also afaik it needs to be connected to a dish, so not so easy.

Thanks for the replies. From re-reading the Sticky Sky cards - using in other Sky boxes, pairing, etc | AVForums

it states: "If the card was previously used in the box and has now been paired to a new box providing it still has a valid subscription for the channel concerned you can use it to view any recordings from non premium channels made when that card was in the box (to view previous recordings made with that card on premium channels then the card will need "re-pairing" with the box and then afterwards "re-pairing" to its new box."

Since my recordings are primarily from BBC4 and Film4 I presume I should be OK to view my content without re-pairing back to my old box (providing I maintain my existing Sky+ subscription)?

I will test this next week and report back..

That's what kevkbuk was referring to in post 5 and may have changed now.
You do need the machine connected to the dish.

That's what kevkbuk was referring to in post 5 and may have changed now.

No, bbc4 and film4 are fta and should be fine. I referred to non premium subscription channels, eg you used to be able to view Sky1 for example with an unpaired card but not movies/sports etc.

Yes, I was referring to paragraph 2 not to paragraph 3 :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom