• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrading to a soundbar...

Scitty

Standard Member
Hey guys, new here but have browsed this site for years lol.

I have a Logic3 PS3 Speakers connected to my TV for audio(as TV speakers are not that good) and i am thinking of getting Yamaha YAS101bl SoundBar since i cannot get surround sound as the misses hates the wires around the house (and she will only let me budget £200) will these make much difference sound wise? I play games, watch Blu-Rays etc.
I don't think the logic are dolby or dts and the yamaha is, does this make much difference? I have a Samsung 51" E450 Series 4 Plasma if that helps...

Thanks!! :)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Shame you can not go surround as the Yamaha 196 can be bought for under £200 (although you could still get it but just use the front 3 speakers and sub as it will be better than a soundbar). The Yamaha will have all the connectivity you need and since it is based on an AV receiver it should give better sound quality too.

Scitty

Standard Member
I actually have a 5.1 surround sound system, Philips. But the wires are a pain esp since i have 2 kids, one being a toddler who loves pulling things lol.

I think the PS3 Logic3 speakers sounded better than that, but would the Samsung HW-E450 soundbar be any better?
I pull the TV back and fourth, when the kids go to bed, i get the PS3 out and game then bring the TV closer so i can see the little campers alittle better haha so the speakers i have now have to be pushed forward and its a little annoying, but if its not going to sound any better( i watch HD channels allot if that helps, Dolby?) i would just stick with these...

Is there any better soundbars i could get with a £200 budget?
I have only seen 2;
Yamaha YAS101bl SoundBar
Samsung HW-E450 Soundbar
Samsung one has HDMI, would that mean that i only have to conect one wire to use all? Virgin TIVO, PS3 and laptop via HDMI

philipb

I've been using a 101 with a Panny plasma, and it works well. The AirSurround effect is good but doesn't fully replicate a surround sound effect, nor does it claim to. It's happy with all sound formats. As a 2.1 system its fine, but I've decided now to upgrade to a Yamaha 2002 - very expensive but superb performer. At or around the £200 mark the 101 is hard to better but I haven't heard them all.

My 101 will probably be appearing in the classifieds soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom