Upgrading to a proper AVR

simonliu79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm currently using a pretty old Sony E670 integrated system which I bought before I started becoming more aware of the finer things in AV. I'm looking to upgrade to probably the Onkyo tx-nr7100 when it arrives (or a denon x3700h if I decide I just can't wait).

Just curious as to what kind of upgrade in experience it will be. Are we talking night and day, like will I hear things that I couldn't before? Or will it be that much clearer? I'm just not sure what makes an actual AVR better than what I already have (purely in terms of sound quality).

Last edited:
The improvement you’ll experience will to a greater extent be determined by the speakers and subwoofer(s) you pair with the new AVR.

Get it right and and it will be a truly night and day difference in terms of sound quality - a richer, more natural sound with appreciably more bass and much greater dynamic range. Personally, in a 5.1 system I would plan on spending at least twice as much on the speakers/subwoofer than the AVR.

hmmmmnn I was planning to use the focal sib evo 5.1.2 with it and maybe switch or add another subwoofer later. Definitely not 2x the price!

In that case I would expect it to not be a night and day difference to what you have now. If you’re shopping to a budget I would definitely reallocate some of the AVR budget to the speaker/sub budget. Speakers have far more impact on sound quality than AVRs but all systems should be in balance.

I suggest you go over to the “Home Cinema Buying and Building” forum and post up your budget, room size and listening habits and ask for some system suggestions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom