1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"upgrading" to a new/2nd hand digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by newuser78uk, Jun 1, 2005.

1. newuser78uk

newuser78uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently lost a compact Nikon 775 camera on a holiday trip so I need to purchase one that's more advanced than 775 and of course a lot harder to lose!

I really liked Nikon 5700 when it first came out and the price now surely is competitive however, I can't seem to find it on places like jessops, internetdirectcameras.co.uk, John Lewis, etc.

There are a few 2nd hand Nikon 5700 on ebay so I may look into this.

I also heard some good things about Fuji S3500.

Which one of the above would you go for or any other similar digital cameras in the market (max £250, either new or 2nd hand)?

Many thanks in advance!

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i doubt either are made anymore. One's 2002 the others 2003. Thats a long time in the digital camera world meaning their features are quite dated. Have a look at this http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/c7070.html A feature packed camera that's the closest thing i've seen to a dslr without being one. You'd have to get it second hand as it's £320 new, if you could manage the extra for a new one i save up a little longer for it

3. newuser78uk

newuser78uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply, I would love to get a brand new camera but I am off to Italy in August and am going through flat purchase (so a lot of ££££ outgoings!). :(

I had a look at C7070 but 7.1MP resolution is too large for me also the zoom is only 4x compared to my previous 775 (3x zoom) -- hardly an upgrade?

if buying a 2nd hand camara, what things should I look out for?

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It might not be much more zoom but it's a wide angle zoom and that is rare for a camera like that or any fixed lens cam, plus it has a hell of a lot of other features. Plus it can take a conversion lens for extra zoom, but then i'd get a dslr if i was going to start adding lenses

Why dont you have a look at the panasonic fZ range if you want more zoom. Very good cameras not as well featured as the 7070 i have to say, but maybe the feature on the panny would suit you more.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfz4.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfz5.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfz20.asp

5. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Fantastic....me and Seany are agreeing !!!

Mate - if you don't want a put in your pocket camera the Pansonic FZ range is fantastic and win's awards across the range - The Leice lens on the cameras is worth the money alone. Couple that with 12x zoom, AF assist lamp and Image Stabilisation and you have an incredible package for the price.

I have an FZ3 (probably £150 now 2nd hand) and the results are simply stunning. It's only 3.2MP but the lens makes up for this big time.

The FZ4&5 are very new so will be difficult to find 2nd hand cheap, the FZ20 is an absolute belter and you should be able to get one under £250 (just checked still holding price very well !!! £350 new!) now either new or 2nd hand (you'll need to find 2nd hand). The FZ20 is as close to DSLR as you'll get without going the whole hog :clap:

You won't regret it !

6. newuser78uk

newuser78uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for yours replies. I guess I never considered Panasonic because they are not a "camera people" like Nikon, Pentax, and Fuji. I will look into this definitely tho.

I like the sound of L71 -- 4MP, 6x optical zoom. Are there manual settings as well as remote flash cable, etc.?

In your opinion, would you say that 3x -> 6x a good "jump"?

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The L71 is not really that manual. The better one's i'd personally look at are the super zooms unless you have an issue with the size.

It's not really all you should focus on how much zoom it has you need to look at it as a hole and weigh up what's important to you. All round the one with the most features is the 7070 but it's too large for you and the features it has like RAW is something you dont really want. So my two pence with mj's two pence makes four :laugh: (who'd have thought it)

Look at the FZ zooms.

8. newuser78uk

newuser78uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok cool, I am keeping an eye on Panasonic FZ5 -- there are a fair amount of these selling on ebay.

Reviews seem to be good -- your thoughts re FZ5? It lets you do manual controls, etc.