Upgrading to a more expensive HDMI switch has broken my set-up

baroquedub

Novice Member
My current set-up is multiple devices (full list at end) going into two cheap Neet HDMI switches daisy chained together (3.1 into a 5.1) and then out as a single output
to a Samsung soundbar which outputs to a Phillips Hue Sync Box and finally to the TV.

It's all very ad-hoc but it works. However I'd like to simplify the number of switches involved (I'm using a Harmony remote so reducing the number of devices that have to be changed would make things better)

I bought a TESmart 16x1 HDMI Switch but I can't get it to work. I've found that I get no audio from all inputs except the PS5 and Blu-ray player. Video shows on the TV but no sound. The PS5 and Sony Blu-ray sound works as expected. I also find that on some devices, the soundbar automatically switches into 'TV SPK' and I get no sound or video (I need to manually reset the soundbar to 'HDMI' to get the video feed)

Reading up on some previous posts (HDMI switch audio issue) I'm guessing that the issue is that the device EDID is being hard-set by the cheap Neet switches but not by the more expensive 16-way switch.

Should I go back to my previous ad-hoc set-up, or is there a better way to get this working?

Maybe there's a better HDMI switch I could buy instead of the TESmart? (I need at least 10 inputs)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Devices:
  • Roku2,
  • Chromecast (3rd Gen)
  • PS5
  • XBox360
  • Steam box
  • Sony BluRay
  • OSMC Vero 4K
  • Virgin box
  • Nintendo Switch
Panasonic TH-42PZ82BA Viera TV
Samsung HW-550 soundbar

Phillips Hue Sync Box
Harmony remote

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The price of a unit is no indication of its abilities.

Any Switch with more than five Inputs is usually aimed at the Pro AV market and has a feature set to suit that market and often lacks support for some of the Features you find in the Residential market.

EDID is going to require careful management to ensure all of your Source devices receive the correct capabilities information from the Display plus managing HDCP may cause you a headache.

Have you tried simplifying the system and testing each Source individually via the New Switch to the Display - you may be able to identify which Sources are not playing well with the Switch, also note that with these multi input switch units there can be differences on the internal signal path from each Input socket, try your highest capability Source on each Input (without any other devices connected) you may find you have to order your sources in a particular order across the available Inputs.

You can add an EDID Manager down stream of the Switch to ensure the Source devices see a pre determined EDID - we stock and supply the HDFury DR HDMI, DR HDMI 4K and DR HDMI 8K.

Joe

baroquedub

Novice Member
The price of a unit is no indication of its abilities.

Thanks Joe, that's good advice.

I'm obviously a little out of my depth here, when it comes to pro AV equipment... and a little unsure how I would make use of the HDFury Dr HDMI 4K.

Where would I put it in my signal chain? Out of the switch and into the Hue Sync, or perhaps out of the Sync and into the TV? I'm guessing I would just set it to the one preset that I find works and leave it at that?

In trying to simply my set-up, it feels like I'm spending way more and going back at needing multiple devices. Out of interest, what benefits are there to going down that route?

I've a feeling I would be better getting in touch for a Media Factory consultancy! :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You would connect Source(s) > Switch > DR HDMI 4K > Hue-Sync > Display.

The Hue-sync always has to be the last device in the signal chain ahead of the Display and all devices connected to the Input side of the Hue-sync (via the HDMI switch) must be Outputting a signal the Hue-sync supports.

Inserting the DR HDMI 4K allows you to set what EDID your Source devices see and ensure they don’t Output a signal the Hue-sync (and or your Display) doesn’t support.

Joe

baroquedub

Novice Member
Thanks Joe, much appreciate your help. Looking at the DR HDMI 4K pictures on the site, it seems that the presets are all image format related. Since my problem seems to be audio related, can you confirm whether it will help too? i.e. does EDID contains information about the audio stream, not just the video format?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Note the Red (2ch), Yellow (5.1) and Green (Full Sound) squares along the bottom edge of the top sticker.

You can also upload custom EDID and or capture the EDID from your Display or another Display device.

You have full control over Video, Audio and a few of other settings within EDID.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom