Upgrading to 9 channel receiver

CarlD74

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m seeking some advice on upgrading my home theater setup. The house we rented for the last few years had a built in 5.1 Polk system, so I bought a cheaper receiver (Yamaha RX-A670) to take advantage of it. Last year we bought a house with a custom theater set up in the basement, and I bought some speakers and a projector to upgrade. Here is my current setup alongside the Yamaha:

Epson 5050 Projector
Klipsch RP 8000F (left & right front)
Klipsch RP 504 C (center)
SVS PB-2000 (sub)
Klipsch RP 500SA (front height and side surrounds)

The room is rather large, open on one side and is wired for 7.1.2. The Yamaha doesn’t sound powerful enough to my ears, and doesn’t have enough input for all 9 channels, so I need to upgrade it as well as purchase the last pair of surrounds. I am leaning towards the Denon X3700 and a pair of Klipsch RP 502S to use as bi-directional side surrounds and move a pair of the 500SA’s to the rear surrounds. The side surrounds are about 18 feet back from the front setup, and the rears are another 12-15 feet further.

We watch a lot of 4K blu-rays as well as Netflix, etc. and getting true Atmos/DTS/Dolby Digital sound is important. We also listen to a lot of music from this room, and I’d like to get the best sound from both streaming sources and vinyl as possible. I’m also not sure if adding an additional amplifier would be my best bet. I am a bit of a novice still and not familiar enough with different configurations to maximize the potential of both 7.1.2 theater surround for movies and 2 channel audio for music. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Carl

My room is not as large as yours however I noticed a very real improvement when I upgraded to my 3700H. I dare say it would be ideal for your room.

Sounds like you have ideal space for a 7.1.2 or even a 5.1.4 set up. Saying that with that size of room you might want to look into 5.2.4 to get even bass distribution.

Hello, I’m seeking some advice on upgrading my home theater setup. The house we rented for the last few years had a built in 5.1 Polk system, so I bought a cheaper receiver (Yamaha RX-A670) to take advantage of it. Last year we bought a house with a custom theater set up in the basement, and I bought some speakers and a projector to upgrade. Here is my current setup alongside the Yamaha:

Epson 5050 Projector
Klipsch RP 8000F (left & right front)
Klipsch RP 504 C (center)
SVS PB-2000 (sub)
Klipsch RP 500SA (front height and side surrounds)

The room is rather large, open on one side and is wired for 7.1.2. The Yamaha doesn’t sound powerful enough to my ears, and doesn’t have enough input for all 9 channels, so I need to upgrade it as well as purchase the last pair of surrounds. I am leaning towards the Denon X3700 and a pair of Klipsch RP 502S to use as bi-directional side surrounds and move a pair of the 500SA’s to the rear surrounds. The side surrounds are about 18 feet back from the front setup, and the rears are another 12-15 feet further.

We watch a lot of 4K blu-rays as well as Netflix, etc. and getting true Atmos/DTS/Dolby Digital sound is important. We also listen to a lot of music from this room, and I’d like to get the best sound from both streaming sources and vinyl as possible. I’m also not sure if adding an additional amplifier would be my best bet. I am a bit of a novice still and not familiar enough with different configurations to maximize the potential of both 7.1.2 theater surround for movies and 2 channel audio for music. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Carl

if you want decent music and movie sound you would do well to get this:

comes with 2 year warranty and has Dirac room correction which is much better than Denon's RC.

reviewed here: Arcam AVR390 Receiver Review

and bag one of these for the additional channels:

failing that if you want to stick with Denon, get a 2 channel amp with ht bypass such as this for music and connect a streamer such as the bluesound node directly to it:

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom