Upgrading to 7.1 do I go for 1020i OR 1010i ?

Sandypusscat

Hi All, pretty new still so dont know a lot yet but I have a 5.1 set up (as below) with Q Acoustics 1030i fronts speakers and 1010i rear speakers...

I was going to upgrade to 7.1 and I was wondering wether or not it would be worth paying a bit more for the 1020i set for the middle set and then using my 1010i ones for the back 7.1 speakers or would 2 sets of 1010is be better as they would all match sound wise ?

I was also thinking of going for some bipole/dipole speakers as I cant get the speakers behind the sofa in this room but I cant see any at a decent price anywhere...

Could anyone give me any advice on either or both of these thoughts please ?

Thanks for reading.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I don't think the surround channel deal with much bass, so the bass response of the 1010i should be more than enough, and since you have them, you should be able to determine how they sound as an all round speaker. If like like them, then more of the same.

If it was 1020i vs 1010i in the front, then I would say definitely 1020i. But at the side or in the rear, I really don't think it make much difference.

However, you might want to consider this. The 1020i, while still not great, does stand alone as a speaker. It would make a fair stereo speaker. So, in the event you do not find 7.1 worth the hassle, you could move the 1020i to a stereo in another room or add them to your computer.

Still, all that said, I don't think you will have a problem with two more 1010i, and I don't think, as you intend to use them, the 1020i give you much of an advantage.

Just a few rambling thoughts

Steve/bluewizard

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Hi there,

If you are intending to use them as part of the surround speakers then i would definately go for the 1010i's. Imo you'd be wasting your money if you went with the 1020i's soley for surround speakers. The ones you want to be spending the money on is the front three (centre is the most important as it produces more than 70% of your overall sound in multi channel listening) followed by the Left and Right. The rear speakers are responsible for ambient noise and the 1010is would be more than capable of doing the job.

Just my opinion though

Cheers

Saf

Sandypusscat

Thanks for that, I might just go for another set of 1010i's then as I have 1030i speakers for fronts, I just read on another thread that if you have a 7.1 amp and you watch a film thats only 5.1 that two speakers will be silent ? is this the case as I cant find many films in 7.1 on bllu ray ?

The chap on the thread says only the two rear speakers were used on his set up when he played a 5.1 movie....

My amp is a Yamaha RX-v765 if that makes a difference.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that, I might just go for another set of 1010i's then as I have 1030i speakers for fronts, I just read on another thread that if you have a 7.1 amp and you watch a film thats only 5.1 that two speakers will be silent ? is this the case as I cant find many films in 7.1 on bllu ray ?

The chap on the thread says only the two rear speakers were used on his set up when he played a 5.1 movie....

My amp is a Yamaha RX-v765 if that makes a difference.

if you have a movie that is 5.1 you can run it as it was authored i.e. in 5.1 or you can apply extra processing, such as PL11x movie and you will then get sound out of both the surrounds and the rear surrounds.

When I had a 7.1 system, I personally prefered to play 5.1 as 5.1 and the surround back speakers are silent. In my view, why mess with how the disc was authored to sound. Some people prefer the extra processing.

if you intend to play 5.1 discs in 5.1, them getting the 1020is and using them as surrounds would be the better idea as it will give you better sirround on 5.1. If you plan to play 5.1 films in 7.1, then it's debatable as to wherather to pay the extra £10 for the 1020is. Personally, I would pay the extra £10 and then you have options.

Last edited:

Sandypusscat

Thanks for that advice... so which speakers will be silent again if playing a 5.1 movie as I would prefer to not mess about with the sound and hear it as intended ?

Will it be the ones at the very back or the ones in the mddle ?

I am presuming its the ones right at the very back that will be silent will it as my middle ones seem to be making sound watching TV etc ?

I did an auto set up on the Amp with the microphone etc and it has detected that there are no speakers right at the back and no sub (still on order) and its set up with just the five speakers for now....

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that advice... so which speakers will be silent again if playing a 5.1 movie as I would prefer to not mess about with the sound and hear it as intended ?

Will it be the ones at the very back or the ones in the mddle ?

I am presuming its the ones right at the very back that will be silent will it as my middle ones seem to be making sound watching TV etc ?

I did an auto set up on the Amp with the microphone etc and it has detected that there are no speakers right at the back and no sub (still on order) and its set up with just the five speakers for now....

If playing a 5.1 soundtrack on a 7.1 system, you're correct, it will be the speakers at the very back (the surround backs) that will be silent. The middle ones will produce sound.

If you get the 1020is, then you would make those the surrounds (middle) and use the 1010is as surround backs.

Sandypusscat

Thats good then.... I will get some 1020i's on order, the 1010i can be the not much used very back ones...
I love this site ! thanks for the advice !

pistolpete1

Hey Sandypusscat,

I have a similar set up to you in terms of speakers.......did you ever have the QA 1000SI subwoofer too? Or did you buy it all separately and added the Gemini 2 onto it?

Reason i ask, is that I wondered if the Gemini 2 was a good upgrade from the QA 1000SI Subwoofer?

Thanks.....

Sandypusscat

Hey Sandypusscat,

I have a similar set up to you in terms of speakers.......did you ever have the QA 1000SI subwoofer too? Or did you buy it all separately and added the Gemini 2 onto it?

Reason i ask, is that I wondered if the Gemini 2 was a good upgrade from the QA 1000SI Subwoofer?

Thanks.....

I bought the Gemini II as I was told by several people (some who had thousands of posts on this site) that the 1000 series sub was prety crap and was the weak part of the system... it doesnt do a very good job at all I was told and the reviews I read seemed to agree, I did originally want the 1010i package for £350 but I couldnt get the sub then when I mentioned it on here everyone said that the sub was pretty poor AND as I listed to music a lot the 1010i speakers wouldnt be much cop either...I decided to go a different route...

I went for the 1030i floorstanders for the fronts and the 1010i for the rears, 1000ci (centre which I was told was pretty good) and then I spent over £100 on QED cable as I needed 40m in total

I am still waiting for the sub to arrive as you have to have them built to order, its been over a fortnight now but its due this week...

Will come back on and give verdict when it arrives...

To be honest I am not that impressed with the sound quality so far as my old stereo HIFI had a very good sound for a much cheaper price and I used to run the TV and PS3 through that to watch films... I have spent a grand on this lot in the last three weeks (or will have when I buy the extra set of 1020i's) and its not that much of an improvement on the (£350 seperates bought second hand for £100 twenty years ago) set up that I had before as far as sound quality goes...except now its in surround and I can run the ipod through it...

As I mainly listen to music I havent heard a great deal from the surround speakers, I am hoping the movie experience will be a vast improvement though and I havent watched many films on it as I am still waiting for the sub, I watched the opening sequence of Saving private Ryan which sounded good but as I say I am still waiting for the sub before I watch anything on blu ray...

Sub should be here any day so wil let you know what I think then...

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
To be honest I am not that impressed with the sound quality so far as my old stereo HIFI had a very good sound for a much cheaper price and I used to run the TV and PS3 through that to watch films... I have spent a grand on this lot in the last three weeks (or will have when I buy the extra set of 1020i's) and its not that much of an improvement on the (£350 seperates bought second hand for £100 twenty years ago) set up that I had before as far as sound quality goes...except now its in surround and I can run the ipod through it...

As I mainly listen to music I havent heard a great deal from the surround speakers, I am hoping the movie experience will be a vast improvement though and I havent watched many films on it as I am still waiting for the sub, I watched the opening sequence of Saving private Ryan which sounded good but as I say I am still waiting for the sub before I watch anything on blu ray...

It's a sad fact of life that music will not sound as good through an AV reciever as it will a stereo amp. It is estimated that you need to pay at least five times the cost of a stero amp on an Av amp to get reasonable music.

I'm guessing, but £350 twenty years ago, must be similar to the price you paid now in relative tems, or would be equivalent to even more. But you've got five extra speakers, plus a sub , plus five more channels of amplification for the same equivalent price. It's not surprising that your old stereo sounded better for music.

However, when you get the sub, and start watching films, you should see why it was worth it.

gordylad

Standard Member
similar set up to you. I upgraded from a home theatre system [panasonic] which was a faithful bit of kit for a number of years. So now I have sound through the sony 800 amp and I am well impressed with the sound quality of not just music but bluray/dvd...........

As for sky via optical I am not impressed with the sound quality and the sooner sky gets to grips with hdmi the better.

pistolpete1

I bought the Gemini II as I was told by several people (some who had thousands of posts on this site) that the 1000 series sub was prety crap and was the weak part of the system... it doesnt do a very good job at all I was told and the reviews I read seemed to agree, I did originally want the 1010i package for £350 but I couldnt get the sub then when I mentioned it on here everyone said that the sub was pretty poor AND as I listed to music a lot the 1010i speakers wouldnt be much cop either...I decided to go a different route...

I went for the 1030i floorstanders for the fronts and the 1010i for the rears, 1000ci (centre which I was told was pretty good) and then I spent over £100 on QED cable as I needed 40m in total

I am still waiting for the sub to arrive as you have to have them built to order, its been over a fortnight now but its due this week...

Will come back on and give verdict when it arrives...

Sub should be here any day so wil let you know what I think then...

Thanks for your reply......after leaving this message, I noticed this:

Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 System Speaker package review - from the experts at whathifi.com

And specifically this quote:

'The biggest and best surprise of all is the Q1000Si subwoofer’s performance. Its ability to respond to sudden bass surges with a crisp sense of precision and speed, as well as enough sheer weight to offer resounding low-end muscle is breathtaking. It all adds up to a stunning performance that will quickly induce amnesia about how little you actually paid for it.'

The original 1000s subwoofer had bad reviews and was seen as the weak link, so perhap the people that advised you were confused between the two subs.

As mentioned, the music side of av receivers are not the best, but I have to admit that the Denon AVR2310, in my opinion, is actually quite good with stereo music (As receivers go!). It outperforms my old onkyo 606, and the Denon 1910, and onkyo 607(demo'd them).

Saying all that, would love to hear your findings when you receive your Gemini 2........

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom