1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to 6.1 / 7.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Vodder, May 14, 2004.

1. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I am never happy (who is!), I am now thinking about adding the rear speakers to make my setup 6.1. With this is mind, I am reckoning that this will end up being 7.1 as it is hard to get individual speakers.

As you can see form my signature, my setup is all B&W 600 series 3. Now the bit I need advice on...what would people recommend for the rear channels?

The way I see it is one of the following:

1) Add a single LCR60 to the rear (though this may make it a bit wierd if I then add the 7th one.)

2) Move the LCR60 from the front centre to the rear and purchase the larger LCR600 for the front centre

3) Add 2 DM600s

4) Add 2 more DM601s

5) Get 2 DM603s, move the DM602s to the left and right rear channels and then move the DM601s to the rear centres.

6) Do as above but get 2 additional DM602s

7) Don't bother

What do guys think?

:confused:

2. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Get two more 602s for surround L&R and move the 601s to surround back.

I went from using 2 x VM1s for surround back to a single B&W CM C (which used to be front centre). Have a single surround back speaker never really worked for me.

Apparently the human brain is not good at locating sounds behind you that are 'mono', it can cope better when it's from two locations, even if the signal is mono. This is the reason it's 7.1 even though the sound tracks are 6.1 and the original Pro-Logic setups used two surround speakers, even though it was a mono signal. So I I’ve now gone to 2 x 601s for surround backs am happy again.

3. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sweet - any particual reason for 602s over the others - my room isnt mega large, tho I don't want to under do it.

What's anyone elses thoughts?