Upgrading to 4k from hd28dse

crazymac261

Standard Member
I paid £600 for this 5 1/2 years ago. I really thought my next projector would be 4k at this pricepoint. These days the 4k projectors seem to have a lot of bells and whistles that I don't care about.
I don't want speakers. I like my movies and games. I'll use my surround sound system.
I don't need a smart projector. My AV system already has a PC and firestick plugged in.
:laugh: come to think of it. I'm quite happy with a 1080p image. I can't see any difference between my 50" 4k telly and my projector while sitting on my couch.
Is there such a projector that has really good 1080p picture quality. Black levels at least as good as my Optoma. Quieter fans.
My Optoma has just gone back to Richer sounds for the 2nd time this year so I'd like to get something newer that feels like an upgrade.
Thanks for any advice or ideas.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
The direct replacement for yours would be the UHD38, an incremental improvement would be the UHD42. These will still deliver a similar noise level, but be sharper than you have experienced with the HD28 (do check the throw differences as I seem to feel they have changed the focal length from those days now).

If you are wanting better black detail, then you are going to have to spend quite a bit more with you looking at the next couple of levels above towards the Epson's. If that's a little rich, you could look at the secondhand market and maybe some of the 9400's predecessors

Pulse1

I paid £600 for this 5 1/2 years ago. I really thought my next projector would be 4k at this pricepoint. These days the 4k projectors seem to have a lot of bells and whistles that I don't care about.
I don't want speakers. I like my movies and games. I'll use my surround sound system.
I don't need a smart projector. My AV system already has a PC and firestick plugged in.
:laugh: come to think of it. I'm quite happy with a 1080p image. I can't see any difference between my 50" 4k telly and my projector while sitting on my couch.
Is there such a projector that has really good 1080p picture quality. Black levels at least as good as my Optoma. Quieter fans.
My Optoma has just gone back to Richer sounds for the 2nd time this year so I'd like to get something newer that feels like an upgrade.
Thanks for any advice or ideas.
What's your budget/throw ratio/screen size and room conditions?

crazymac261

Standard Member
The direct replacement for yours would be the UHD38, an incremental improvement would be the UHD42. These will still deliver a similar noise level, but be sharper than you have experienced with the HD28 (do check the throw differences as I seem to feel they have changed the focal length from those days now).

If you are wanting better black detail, then you are going to have to spend quite a bit more with you looking at the next couple of levels above towards the Epson's. If that's a little rich, you could look at the secondhand market and maybe some of the 9400's predecessors
Thanks. I've been looking at the new 4k optomas. I'd seen that the they have different throws but I'm quite flexible and don't mind moving my mount. I'd be willing to stretch to £1500 as this will be my 3rd projector in 11 years. I use it almost everyday so I'd consider it a worthwhile investment. The Epsons at the same price point, seem to have worse black levels in the reviews. So I'd not really considered them. Black levels are something I often look at while watching movies so I think a step in the wrong direction would hurt my soul :D

crazymac261

Standard Member
What's your budget/throw ratio/screen size and room conditions?
Up to £1500. Screen size 100". Dark room for movies. Lamp in the corner for split screen games or watching TV. Projector on the roof. Up to 14ft from the screen. The HD28 has 3000ansi but I only ever used in on ECO mode. The fans were too loud in bright mode.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Sadly the old rule of LCD v DLP and black levels are a thing of the past at the higher level products. DLP's still have a natural black to grey scale which is great for colour definition, but once the black level falls away, you'll see that even the old EH-TW9000 can produce a stronger black level than some of the older DLP's

£1500 will get you somewhere close to the lesser 7400 from Epson, but its black level are not as strong as it big brother and maybe pitching it against the Optoma UHD60 (if you can find one plus its not 3d). These two models are a little above your budget and are a considerable size larger than the tiny HD28, but they've all gone larger with the exception of the models I mentioned earlier

Last edited:

Stridsvognen

If your looking at Epson, make sure you can live with the ultra low pixel fill, and the very poor motion, those are parameters where the DLP is superior to any other type of projectors.

The Epson will have 4-5 times higher on off contrast, and about ½the ansi contrast of the DLP.

Ill recommend go out and see what compromise you like the best.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Having demo'd the Optoma HD28 many times during its life time, I wouldn't worry about the motion panning of the Epson's as it's not really any worse than yours. Yes its not as good as the Sony or Panasonics (which were one of the best outshining them all and something I find odd as Panasonic used Epson LCD technology) at motion or like the better DLP's, but its I wouldn't is its very poor in comparison

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom