Upgrading the hard disk

The HDD I'm fairly certain would format itself automatically on the new system

I tried moving my HDD from my original ps4 and put into my Pro and it wanted to format

I'm bouncing off the limits of my small 500GB drive in my PS4 :(

Any particular recommendations for a particular 1TB or perhap 2TB drive?
I'm pretty savvy with PC hardware etc. but if there's a good tried and tested and cheap drive I'll just plump for that rather than spend hours researching :thumbsup:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Sorry, I wasn't clear :facepalm: I have a PSVR and a Steering wheel and only 2 USB ports so I want an internal drive - or a USB hub that won't be a PITA to go with an external disk :)
Cheers!
You open the casing (if you do it carefully you can put your 500gb drive back in to it). Put the internal drive into your PS4.

The version of this drive that comes without the case is more expensive.

The one I linked is basically the one that everyone uses.

You open the casing (if you do it carefully you can put your 500gb drive back in to it). Put the internal drive into your PS4.

The version of this drive that comes without the case is more expensive.

The one I linked is basically the one that everyone uses.
Thanks again - just found a YouTube video that explains how to open it up - looks easier than an iPod so no problems there.
I guess I'll get that one :thumbsup:

Drive arrived, gave it a day in the PC to make sure it wasn't duff. Took a few minutes to install and seems to be all good.
Currently waiting for a load of stuff to download as I didn't have a large exFAT format drive handy to make a full back up. Even doing 30GB of stuff onto a USB took hours!
Thanks again for the tip @DroidSkin AVF for the win! :thumbsup:

I find myself needing to upgrade the HDD on my second PS4 (Pro with 1Tb drive).

I already put a 2Tb drive in my og PS4 but that was before external drives were supported. I don’t need advice on replacing the internal drive.

However, I wondered what people’s experience was with external drive performance with the PS4? Any issues, pitfalls I should be aware of.

Also, use the same external drive with both PlayStations?

Edit: ignore the last question, apparently you can use it on more than one PS4 on same account. Only issue occurs is if game is installed on both extended storage and local HDD.

Last edited:
I find myself needing to upgrade the HDD on my second PS4 (Pro with 1Tb drive).

I already put a 2Tb drive in my og PS4 but that was before external drives were supported. I don’t need advice on replacing the internal drive.

However, I wondered what people’s experience was with external drive performance with the PS4? Any issues, pitfalls I should be aware of.

Also, use the same external drive with both PlayStations?

Edit: ignore the last question, apparently you can use it on more than one PS4 on same account. Only issue occurs is if game is installed on both extended storage and local HDD.

I'm currently investigating this very thing, I had a 2tb in my original base PS4 but moved that over to my Pro putting the 1tb in base to put in my daughter's room. I then also have a 2tb external usb3 plugged in and I'm still struggling for space.

One game in particular I was having horrendous frame rate issues with was The Golf Club 2 which when I tweeted the devs they denied any such issues. I have moved it over to my internal drive and whilst it seems very slightly improved I'm still getting the odd stutter here and there. The first game was terrible for it and I thought the same probs had moved over to the sequel but devs are saying otherwise even though it's an indie title.

I too am contemplating upgrading the HDD in my launch PS4, dont really need 2tb as my games are mostly on disc (famous last words).

Undecided to go either WD blue or Seagate Barracuda.

Upon reading it seems as though Seagate suffer more failures than other manufacturers??

dont really need 2tb as my games are mostly on disc (famous last words).
Disc games get fully installed onto the hard drive as well, exactly the same as a digital game. The disc is only used (after installation) to check you own the game, not for loading data from the disc.

Not sure if it can be installed internally but I have a 2TB on my Pro and it works great highly recommended

For those wanting to upgrade their PS4s to 2tb.

Get in quick buying a Seagate Backup Plus 2tb from Currys on Ebay.

£54-99 and use PRESENTS for 15% off, makes it £46-74. Bargain.

Ends midnight tonight.

For those wanting to upgrade their PS4s to 2tb.

Get in quick buying a Seagate Backup Plus 2tb from Currys on Ebay.

£54-99 and use PRESENTS for 15% off, makes it £46-74. Bargain.

Ends midnight tonight.

Sounds good.

Can they be used at internal hard drives for the PS4?

Seagate HDD arrived today, just thought id test it first before removing it from the enclosure.
Good job i did, not recocognised on either my desktop, laptop or PS4, making a faint beeping noise too.
DOA methinks.

Bloody hell....................

Sorry if this is a bit of a daft question, but if I upgrade my internal drive to a 2TB drive, do I need to clone the original drive onto the new drive before installation? Is there a commonly recognised procedure to make it as quick and easy to upgrade it?

Pretty sure cloning the drive will not work.
The easiest way to upgrade the hard drive is to back everything up to and external USB drive first. Then you can replace the internal hard drive with your new 2TB drive. Final step is to reconnect your external USB drive and restore the backup you made earlier.

Was getting fed up with a slow dashboard on the PS4 Pro, also HDD constantly chattering away was making me think it may be on the way out.

Fitted a 1TB SSD (£112 Amazon), now the dash can hold multiple tasks with ease, before when I pressed the PS button the thing would whir away for a while, instant now.

Was getting fed up with a slow dashboard on the PS4 Pro, also HDD constantly chattering away was making me think it may be on the way out.

Fitted a 1TB SSD (£112 Amazon), now the dash can hold multiple tasks with ease, before when I pressed the PS button the thing would whir away for a while, instant now.

What drive did you use please?

Im just about to buy a new Ps4 pro, (and PSVR just for NMS! ;)) and thought i may as well go SSD from day 1, save copying everything across.

Are hybrid ssd's worth it, or is it best just to go full SSD, im sure 1TB will be enough.

I bought a Crucial MX500

I looked into it quite a lot and decided the hybrid would be OK, but overall the SSD is quicker and no moving parts

What drive did you use please?

Im just about to buy a new Ps4 pro, (and PSVR just for NMS! ;)) and thought i may as well go SSD from day 1, save copying everything across.

Are hybrid ssd's worth it, or is it best just to go full SSD, im sure 1TB will be enough.
SSD beats hybrid.

Best two from when I did mine were the Samsung 860 Evo (Pro is better but pricey) or Crucial MX500. I went with the Crucial because it's cheaper and there's nothing much in the performance between the two.

Thanks ordered a Crucial MX500

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom