Upgrading the hard disk

NUT

Established Member
Reaction score
Long time no post ;) Anyway, I have finally succumbed and I have a PS4 on the way. I have read up on what to do (doesn't look that hard) but it's what hard disk to get? I've heard about some sort of samsung drive which is apparently a good one?

I've actually just ordered a Seagate 1Tb SS Hybrid drive and it's going to be delivered tomorrow.

I think whilst I'd like 2Tb I don't know if I'd actually need it as I generally don't play lots of games at the same time so I'd rather have the slight speed bump the drive provides.

Long time no post ;) Anyway, I have finally succumbed and I have a PS4 on the way. I have read up on what to do (doesn't look that hard) but it's what hard disk to get? I've heard about some sort of samsung drive which is apparently a good one?

There's a thread as long as yer arm about this somewhere around. ( maybe longer if you have short arms.)

You'll love it! The games are coming. I've agonised over the HDD upgrade. I don't want to spend too much money and I'm sure better drives will come. Or Sony will bring out a new version etc. The contenders for me are: HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB or Seagate SSHD. I love the hybrid drive - have one in my Mac, but have recently thought that a simple speed upgrade of the HGST drive seems sensible as its the big brother drive of the one that is in the PS4.

I bought the wd red, it's in the other thread. It's designed to be used in a nas and runs for long periods and keeps very cool, this helps the ps4 from being noisy imo. It was 58 delivered from dabs.com

I'm trying to copy the link address from chrome on my phone into the app thread, but I can't.

Last edited:
I think it was that one. I ordered it on Saturday afternoon and it came on the following Tuesday. Free delivery. I'm very happy with it. Fast, quiet, enough storage and cheap enough. Job done.

I think it was that one. I ordered it on Saturday afternoon and it came on the following Tuesday. Free delivery. I'm very happy with it. Fast, quiet, enough storage and cheap enough. Job done.
Looks good.

That 1TB looks not bad. It's not going to be a instant thing I going to purchase (Need cash now) ;) Been playing about with my PS4 today. I liking it so far (No youtube or ITV player apps yet) picked up a nice bargin too. Got watch dogs free with my PS4 but got rayman legends (was supposed to be 30 quid in tesco but came out as 19) win win for me ;) but so far I am quite chuffed :)

Forgot to say I putting the last of us remastered on pre-order tomorrow via gamestop (never played it on PS3) something to look forward to :)

I've pre-ordered The Last of Us. I'm new to PlayStation. can't wait!!

I recently modded my controller with the Xbox One sticks and so I was in the mood for some more tweaking! The next thing on my list was the hard drive.

I've been considering lots of options and in the end I decided to go for the 2TB drive. I don't like the idea of an SSHD and an SSD was far too expensive.
I don't really need the extra space just yet but I wanted to get it done before the drive starts filling up because there is less data to transfer or download again. Having done this with my PS3 I know it was quite time consuming.

The upgrade was quick and painless and everything was up and running within the hour. I encountered exactly zero problems and I now have over 1700GBs free space!

Just ordered my Seagate 1TB SSHD. I only bought the PS4 a couple of days ago and only have Assassins Creed and Sniper 3 plus a couple of small PSN games. But I don't want to keep wondering how much space I have left every time I buy a new game. This should ensure I've got plenty of space for a good while yet.

With regards to backing up game saves, does anyone know if we have to backup the save for each user individually, or does backing up from the primary user backup all users saves for that game?

With regards to backing up game saves, does anyone know if we have to backup the save for each user individually, or does backing up from the primary user backup all users saves for that game?
i would backup each user
easiest way is, the PS+ option , just save each game data to the cloud , and when you have finished putting the new drive in , just sign back in and re-download the data back to the ps4 after you have installed the game you have ..

Just ordered my Seagate 1TB SSHD. I only bought the PS4 a couple of days ago and only have Assassins Creed and Sniper 3 plus a couple of small PSN games. But I don't want to keep wondering how much space I have left every time I buy a new game. This should ensure I've got plenty of space for a good while yet.

Hey where did you get this HD? I'm thinking of getting one but unsure where to get one from?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I know this probaly isn't the most relevant place to ask this but it's related to the topic. If I upgrade my hard drive (never done it before) what do I back up? I assume the game files are too big to back up? I got tomb raider for example that is like 24gb. Would I just need to re-install that to play it again and back up the save data?

...Would I just need to re-install that to play it again and back up the save data?

Yep exactly right. I've just joined Playstation Plus, and will backup my save games to that. Alternatively you can back them up to a USB stick. The games themselves will need to be downloaded again if bought from PSN or installed again from disk. But I'm assuming if you make sure the game saves are in place before you load the game, it should carry on from where you left off.

But I'm assuming if you make sure the game saves are in place before you load the game, it should carry on from where you left off.

correct , just install the game again and re-download the game data , and your good to go ,

Well to be honest, I'm sure 1TB will do me just fine. There'll be plenty of games installed on there before it starts getting full, and then I'll just take off the games I don't play and keep their save games stored if I want to reinstall them later on. Should be getting my 1TB delivered today :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom