Upgrading the hard disk

jouster

Tempted to get a 8TB disk drive now. Well done Sony for redeeming yourself at long last
To be honest 8TB will be massive overkill unless you have every game going.

As stated before. I have a 2 in mine and fully loaded with a LOT of games I'm only just 1TB in.

Mike9LO

Standard Member
Hi guys,

For those of you that have installed the Seagate Firecuda on your PS4's, I have read reports that these drive have fireware which causes the drives to spin down "aggressively". For example, when left for 3-4 minutes the drive will spin down and then this will make the console unresponsive for a second whilst the drive spins back up.

Is this true? I am torn between this Firecuda or the M9T/Barracuda.

Thanks

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,

For those of you that have installed the Seagate Firecuda on your PS4's, I have read reports that these drive have fireware which causes the drives to spin down "aggressively". For example, when left for 3-4 minutes the drive will spin down and then this will make the console unresponsive for a second whilst the drive spins back up.

Is this true? I am torn between this Firecuda or the M9T/Barracuda.

Thanks
I can't speak from experience, but am looking at drives at the moment and I saw this one reviewed by Gamesradar and they said it was one of the best drives for Ps4 and no mention of this issue. It doesn't mean it isn't there as I am not sure how well they test, if at all.

EDIT: I posted on reddit for recommends and this is the drive most people recommended, so sure it cant have this issue ...

Last edited:

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Both are 3.5" drives so need to be connected to the mains. Wouldn't you rather go for a 2.5" USB powered drive instead?

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Both are 3.5" drives so need to be connected to the mains. Wouldn't you rather go for a 2.5" USB powered drive instead?
External?

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Yes, you can get external 3TB 2.5" portables. These wouldn't need to be connected to the mains like the two you linked to
Eg
Maxtor M3 3 TB Portable External Hard Drive - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

or even 4TB
Maxtor M3 4 TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
I don't know if these drives are any good as I don't own one.
The only thing is that maxtor I linked has a disk speed of 7200rpm so wonder if that tips it in it's favour?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
The only thing is that maxtor I linked has a disk speed of 7200rpm so wonder if that tips it in it's favour?
Well the stock drive inside a PS4 is 5400rpm, so it wouldn't be slower than what you already have installed on the internal drive. I just think you'll find it a pain to have the drive always connected to the mains.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
I would not want a drive that needed separate power...it will just end up being a PITA at some point

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Well the stock drive inside a PS4 is 5400rpm, so it wouldn't be slower than what you already have installed on the internal drive. I just think you'll find it a pain to have the drive always connected to the mains.
Went with a 2TB 2.5 seagate external hdd in the end. Appreciate your advice mate.

FlagshipDevice

Question for those of you with a PS4 Pro with an external hard drive:

Planning on trading my PS4 in for a Pro next week and was wondering if you can connect an external drive to the rear USB port? I know that sounds a daft question but I had a quick Google before coming here and I've read reports of people having problems using the rear USB port for drives.

Be really handy if I can use the rear port! If not, I'll look into a 2TB internal replacement - don't want a lead sticking out of the front of it.

FlagshipDevice

Also - I have a PS4 that I put a 2TB drive in when I got it. Could I just take that out and put it into the Pro? I'm assuming that should work? I could then put the original 500GB drive back into the PS4 before I flog it.

I could then put the 1TB drive from the Pro nto the external housing I have from the 2TB drive I bought and use as an external for the Pro.

UPDATE: I now realise I'll still have to back up the 2TB drive before putting in Pro. Bugger.

Last edited:

L33

Standard Member
I had normal ps4 and sold it to upgrade to pro as I have 4k TV.

In the original ps4 was 500gig 5400rpm 2.5inch.

I purchased a 2tb external Seagate and took it out case to put in my original that's before the external firmware 4.5 update.

Now I sold my original ps4 I put my 2tb in my pro.

Is the seagate external HDD same specs as the pro 1tb. What stock HDD is in the pro?.

Is there any differences or advantage having the seagate inside or outside as a external on a pro, I spoke to Sony and they said either inside or outside be the same just inside more neater.

As was thinking putting back stock 1tb in pro and keep 2tb as ext. It's currently in my pro

Thanks to all

BigAardvaark

Also - I have a PS4 that I put a 2TB drive in when I got it. Could I just take that out and put it into the Pro? I'm assuming that should work? I could then put the original 500GB drive back into the PS4 before I flog it.

I could then put the 1TB drive from the Pro nto the external housing I have from the 2TB drive I bought and use as an external for the Pro.

UPDATE: I now realise I'll still have to back up the 2TB drive before putting in Pro. Bugger.
I'm just waiting for the inevitable price drop on the Pro when the XB1X launches then I'll be in exactly this situation. I have decent internet so was just going to delete as much as I can that can be re-downloaded and then do the backup once it will fit on the 500gb drive I moved out of the PS4 before going 2tb. During the day when the schools aren't off, it'll down it all in a few hours. Then I'll use the 1tb in the caddy the 2tb came in as my new off-site backup for the PC :)

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
im looking for a large capacity reliable external HDD for the ps4 pro, that connects with the fastest usb connection (im guessing 3.0) any recommendations 1TB just isnt enough any recommendations links? 3/4tb probably enough

answered my own question looks like the seagates are popular and have all my requirements.

this is a great deal

Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive - Ebuyer

Last edited:

hippo99

Distinguished Member
im looking for a large capacity reliable external HDD for the ps4 pro, that connects with the fastest usb connection (im guessing 3.0) any recommendations 1TB just isnt enough any recommendations links? 3/4tb probably enough

answered my own question looks like the seagates are popular and have all my requirements.

this is a great deal

Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive - Ebuyer
That one needs to be plugged into the mains with an AC Adapter, so would be a right pain.

I’d much rather get one of the 2.5” ones that are powered just by USB & no AC adapter needed.
Eg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01127CY26/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-PlayStation/dp/B017KE8OG0/
These were only about £90-95 over Xmas, so might be worth waiting for a price drop.

mose72

Silly question, I have PS4 Pro in the UK. I am working over in Copenhagen and thinking about getting a PS4 slim for over there. If I load the games onto an external hdd in the UK, can I just unplug and take the HDD to Copenhagen and plug it into the new system?

NUT

Silly question, I have PS4 Pro in the UK. I am working over in Copenhagen and thinking about getting a PS4 slim for over there. If I load the games onto an external hdd in the UK, can I just unplug and take the HDD to Copenhagen and plug it into the new system?
The HDD I'm fairly certain would format itself automatically on the new system