Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrading Sub, What to consider up to £400

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Chrper, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Folks

Well we are moving house and I have been given clearance to upgrade the Sub on my system, " you see my dearest the new room is so much bigger that I need to get a better sub!!"

Already managed to swing an upgrade to MS906 and 905 front setup and have 4 302s that I plan to use for surround and rears. I have a Yamaha 750 Amp and the current sub is a MS309.

The room at the new house will be 4.2m x 5.5m x 3m high so is quite a large space.

I have read the sub forums and am even more confused than I was at the start, it seems that there are so many options out there, and people seem to be in many different camps, SVS, REL, Velodyne etc, not to mention all the other makes!!!

So I have a budget of £400, and would like advice on where to start, ie A couple maybe 3 makes models for me to get listening too.
    This will only be used for Movies and will need to be available in wood, preferably Beech to match the MS spealkers I already have.
    SIze is now not important as I have already siad that it may be a bit bigger than the 309!!! so as long as it is not a 1M cube I will be OK!!( I hope).

Thanks to everyone for there help and guidance in the various forums so far and also in advance on this new project!!

Cheers

Chris

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I upgraded my 309 to the svs pb10-isd but you cant get it in beech or wood effect and its a lot bigger than your looking for.

Maybe have a look at the velodyne cht10-r or boost your budget and go for the 12r. Also look second hand. The seervo 15 might suit but im not sure about finnishes and the size. Maybe a Rel storm 3 or better.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think second hand would probably be your best option as a £400 new sub is unlikely to be head-and-shoulders above the MS309 which is very good in it's own right. :)

4. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to say that if I had my way ( which may happen!!) I would go for one of those SVS Cylinders!!.

This one in particular
    25-31PCi

25-31PCi Subwoofer with
    320 watt built-in Amp

$549

Now If I were to blow the budget and do it, I would have to locate it behind a chair in the rear corner of the room ( out of sight), I suspect that this would not be a good place to put it from a sound point of view as it would be at the opposite end of the room from the screen and hence front speakers.

Maybe not a good idea after all!!

I will have a look at the models you suggested and consider the SH option as well, I have to admit that if it was not such a monster I would have a serious look at the Sony thats been mentions in a couple of other threads for £399, but I dont think I could hide that anywhere other than perhaps the back of the garage!!

Thanks for you help

Regards

Chris

Now back to rebuilding the kids PC ( god ony knows what they did to it!!) but at least I do know what im taliking about with computers!!
    Well maybe just a quick look at the SVS forum for import costs etc!!!

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I dont think it would matter if you had it int he corner of the room behind the chair as bass is omni-directional. It might even be more fun as the the waves of bass will rock the sofa/chair its behind :devil:

6. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now that means I have a problem, I cant dismiss it as not practical anymore because the sound would not suffer!!!

You have gone and done it now, I am going to have to look into it seriously and find a true costing !!

Well I have a few months to decide on how to get round the wife, which also means that I will get my half year bonus before I needed to Order!! Now a plan is begining to hatch!! Also noticed that you can lay them down on the floor, so behind the sofa would not now be out of the question either, Me thinks this could be a possibility!!

But seriously would a sub that good and powerful not just show the rest of my system up!! or would it as I would hope, make it sound even better??

Also as it is downfiring, would it be a problem with neighbours?? its a big house but still a semi

Thanks for your help, it has been very useful, but it hads put my wallet on RED ALERT!!

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A good sub wouldn't make your system sound rubbish, quite the opposite in fact. A good sub that's badly set up will sound rubbish however much you paid for it though (to an extent of course).

You ought to check the Room Acoustics/DIY sections for ways to help keep bass and sound inside the right room but it's quite a difficult task. :)

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'd have thought that 1KW Sony sub was the first thing to look at with that budget...PJ

9. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well thankfully I have budgeted for it all to be setup for me by a profesional, I know it takes away the fun but I cant see me with an SPL meter ploting graphs etc!! cos that would mean that I need to study for a few more months just to work out what I needed to do!!.

So if its is all setup well it will sound even better!! now just how much do these things cost to import??

I will look into the acoustic side of things as well, thanks for the pointers.

Well what an afternoon, almost made a decision on a new sub( well sort of) and Man city beat Liverpool. There are 2 things that I didnt think would happen today.

Thanks again

Regards

Chris

Now a good bottle of wine needs to be opened for when the good lady gets home!!! " Good evening darling, Im so glad you have bought all those new pairs of shoes have a glass of wine and I will tell you my plans!!"................

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    In that case, go for a Gale or Eltax sub from Richer Sounds, they knock spots off anything up to £400.

...PJ :)

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I'm glad you have your priorities right as far too many people lose sight of the fact that AV should be all about improving the film watching experience and that the constituent parts of the system are the means and not the end.

12. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ian

I spend far too much of my working time demoing computer systems and networks, So I only want to sit back and relax when I get home to watch TV or a good movie!!

Just showed the good lady the picture of the SVS Cylinders!! And guess what, she says its Ok s long as it can be hidden away!! Well put in a corner.
    She realy is a star!! and that without a even a glass of wine!!!

So it may be a couple of months away ( current house just isnt big enough to hide it) but I will be joining the SVS club!!!

I noticed that you have a Cylinder, so can they realy be layed down or is it just a marketing ploy to make them seem more easy to HIDE!!

I dont now plan to lay it down but even with Permision I could only go for a PCI 25 - 31 or maybe a PCI 20 - 39 ( its only £30 difference). I have read the blurb but as a man in the know would this be OK for my setup?? ( realy dont want to be going back to discuss a possible upgrade in 12 months)
    Yamaha 750
    MS 906 fronts
    MS 905 Centre
    4 X 302s for the rest

i plan to get Peirs to calibrate my plasma and setup the sound at the same time ( other major project is a scaler and other bits for improved PQ but thats all coming out of my budget not the household moving money!!)

All input is very much appreciated, I am smart enough to know what I dont either know or understand!!

Cheers

Chris

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If SVS say that it's Ok to lay the sub on it's side I'm sure that it is as they are one of the very few manufacturers not given to overstatement.

In these days of PC Ultras and SVS box subs it is easy to lose sight of the fact that SVS built their reputation for active subs on the superb performing PCi range and everything that came afterwards was building on the success of that already excellent product.

Even 18 months ago when us Brits started to get into SVS it was just the PCi and PC Plus range of cylinder subs and everything else has arrived on the market since then.

14. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I suppose all that is left now is to get a proper quote from the SVS folks!!

As I mentioned it wont be for a couple of months but I may place an order early so I can arrange for delivery as soon as possible after we move!!

I will speak to them and see what they think would be best.

I am planning to get a Mark grant Sub cable, I take it that this would be a V good idea for such a sub!!

Thanks again to everyone for there input.

regards

Chris

Spooky realy, my mother in law sent me a present of £100 today, out of the blue, so guess where that money is destined!!

Next post on this subject may even be in the SVS forum!!

15. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I ran a Rel strata II for years and was very pleased with it until I heard my brother-in-laws new svs cylinder which put me on the upgrade path. :devil:

Yesterday I picked up my Servo-15, did a quick set-up, put a film on and to be honest with you I and the wife were quite disappointed. I then spent the rest of the afternoon setting the sub up using SPL meter along with the downloaded test tones.

I put on the same THX intro as before and this time I was totally blown away. My wife was in the next room, she even came running in thinking I had blown myself up. :D

The bass was so tight and forceful I had never heard anything like this before and in my opinion, in my set-up/room way better that my brother-in-laws saves. I've heard quite a few good quality subs over the years but for movies the servo-15 is one of the best.

These can be picked up for £350-£475 a true bargain.

Surrey Lad ;)

16. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The servo looks like a V nice bit of kit, however if I have been looking at the correct dimensions it is a bit big to hide in a corner, The good lady likes the idea of the cylinder now as the footprint is not much different than the MS309 I currently have( yes its about twice the height!!) but easier to place out of direct view!!

Behind the sofa or a chair in the corner etc!!

So it gets the seal of approval on that basis alone!!, now if its ends up behind the furniture is another matter!! but I will have it in the house by then

Thanks for your input however, it always pays to walk the full length of the counter before making a purchase!!

Regards

Chris