Upgrading speakers to ?

gasolin

Established Member
Reaction score
Im also (like someone in here) looking for different speakers

I have argon alto 5 mkII part of dali and hifiklubben in denmark and the bf offer i had to buy and try Q acoustics 3010i

Argon hasn't got to much bass despite 5.25" woofer but has more clarity in the highs and higher power handling than the q acoustics

HOW ever the q acoustics has somehow more bass and less highs, more comfortable to listen not just because of how the highs sound but also because of the level from the highs that are very different than the 3000, it had mids and high in your face, much more sharp and listen to me, listening fatigue + less bass than the 3000i series made the 3020 sound bright and thin.

The highs on the argons are more livelier but not fatigue to listen to, it's lacking a little in the bass but can play fairly loud

The highs on the q acoustics are not fatigue at all, at a level you don't notice the highs as much as the argons but it lack some clarity in the higher frequencys from the upper midrange,lower tweeter and up, excatly that makes it easy to play loud since the mids and highs are very comfortable at high levels.

I miss more bass and less highs (more comfortable) from the argons and more clarity from the q acoustics without any change in how comnfortable the highs are

For me eq is not an option i would like to use

Another thing is both might not be detail focused speakers so more detail i wouldn't mind, both speakers are loud enough for my needs

Im going for bookshelf speakers on a fairly low budget of 300-400 euros, so fare i can return the q acosutics and sell the argons, i just can't depend on that if i see a good offer new or used, so my budget is no more than 300-400 euros unless im willing to take a loan with no interest rates or any extra (which is possible but im not a fan of the speakers they sell at that place where i can get it).

Last edited:
I agree...the 3020 had bright highs and very little bass below 70Hz. If you like the 3010i, a natural step up would be the 3030i. These are pretty smooth and have great dynamics, imaging and especially bass. They are well within you budget. If you check online, there are some measurements. I think you posted them before. Good frequency response, so no need to EQ. Clean spectral decay, so not much resonance from the cabinet. For £240, you'd be hard pressed to get better or more.

Of course, you can get the QA Concept 20s. They are a better speaker, but have less bass extension and don't look as pretty.

The Q Acoustcis 3030i won't give my more highs or details, more bass yes but thats not something i think i need from my 3010i's

As long as i keep it clean there is alot of bass + they are loud enough

Germain revierw

I hate the silver rings around the cones, looks ugly and the cover is cheap plastic with holes just a tiny bit bigger than the unit (refelctison from the platic ?) atleast other speakers only have plastic arround the edges and mabye between the units to make it a little stiffer

I live in denmark and thers no way i can get a pair of q acsousticsd 3030i for £230,€271, i can't even get a pair of 3020i on amazone.de or ebay for £230,€271, the same goes with the Concept 20 i think has less bass than the 3010i's and if they are as bright as my 2010i's it could be to much.

Uk is outside of europe so £230 would easily be £300 or more, import taxes is 25% plus £21,€25 euros in hadling fee + i might not get free shipping, both speakers in europe are around £400,€470, theres no more bf offers on the q acoustics

Last edited:
The Q Acoustcis 3030i won't give my more highs or details, more bass yes but thats not something i think i need from my 3010i's

As long as i keep it clean there is alot of bass + they are loud enough

Germain revierw

I hate the silver rings around the cones, looks ugly and the cover is cheap plastic with holes just a tiny bit bigger than the unit (refelctison from the platic ?) atleast other speakers only have plastic arround the edges and mabye between the units to make it a little stiffer

I live in denmark and thers no way i can get a pair of q acsousticsd 3030i for £230,€271, i can't even get a pair of 3020i on amazone.de or ebay for £230,€271, the same goes with the Concept 20 i think has less bass than the 3010i's and if they are as bright as my 2010i's it could be to much.

Uk is outside of europe so £230 would easily be £300 or more, import taxes is 25% plus £21,€25 euros in hadling fee + i might not get free shipping, both speakers in europe are around £400,€470, theres no more bf offers on the q acoustics
Ah...I see. I didn't quite understand your original question.

Have you had a look in HiFi shops in your local area of Denmark to audition a few different options? Seems the best way forward if you are not in the UK.

I want different speakers

The q acoustics lack a little in clarity but are comfortable to listen to

The argons have a little to much highs (but not fatigue) and lack bass

Both lack a littlle detail and are loud enough for me

I want something better on a low budget

Might be worth trying to find a pair of Kef Q350's to listen to. Still on the warmer side but with a bit more treble and the coaxial driver helps the phase aligmnet and a wide sound stage.

Might be worth trying to find a pair of Kef Q350's to listen to. Still on the warmer side but with a bit more treble and the coaxial driver helps the phase aligmnet and a wide sound stage.
I don't think so

I want different speakers

The q acoustics lack a little in clarity but are comfortable to listen to

The argons have a little to much highs (but not fatigue) and lack bass

Both lack a littlle detail and are loud enough for me

I want something better on a low budget
I'd look to audition Dali Oberon 3 and get a nice 'home' deal in Denmark! :)

Oberons are bright speakers but size and price are not to bad

I was talking to someone who has a pair of Elac Unifi BS U5 (not shure if it's the slim version) for 350 euros these speakers how ever go down to 3 ohm

Here the measurements are fine Elac Uni-Fi BS U5: Seite 6 - i-fidelity.net here the floorstand version is very dark sounding SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements: Elac Uni-Fi Slim FS U5 Loudspeakers

Last edited:
Me personally wouldn’t agree with what other reviewers “say “ about this speakers.

It seems you are changing speakers 4 times each year. Not trying to offend you.

But it seems you are to fussy, nothing wrong about that. I am too.

The one reason why you are searching for new speakers are simple.

The budget is to low (at least in you case), so you need to save up to speakers in Sonus Sonetto 2 price class.

My opinion, since I clearly can see QA speakers in your profile. Why change them?

I want highs with a little more detail and not as soft as the q acoustics, i don't want sharp high but more airiness

Or get the old Monitor Audio series, since the new 7 G is on the market.

I bet you can get the MA silver 50 6 G very cheap. MA are all round speakers. Smooth highs, deep bass because of the Hive 2 ports.

I believe this ones are the best option.

MA measurement are also very good.

Triangle with their titanium tweeters might suit you. Me personally hate titanium tweeters.

Or look for alternatives speakers online, which is not so popular in the hifi community.

Or get the old Monitor Audio series, since the new 7 G is on the market.

I bet you can get the MA silver 50 6 G very cheap. MA are all round speakers. Smooth highs, deep bass because of the Hive 2 ports.

I believe this ones are the best option.

565 euros for a pair, have heard the 100 is better, price 619 euros. While you replied to my thread i was reading this thread, the MA silver can have listening fatigue

The issue is that when I listen to CDs on my main system downstairs in the lounge, I cannot do so for more than about 15 minutes without the sense that "I've had enough...I just want to turn it off now". This doesn't happen on a small system I have upstairs, nor when I listen to vinyl. It was also worse when I had the Dali Oberon 5 speakers, but better with the Wharfedale 12.3s. Having recently bought the Silver 200s, which sound amazing, it has sadly returned to its previous level.

Last edited:
The amplifier is crucial! Same with the room. Some speakers sing, some not in the same listing room.

I own the Silver 300. With the Silver 200 I am noticing bright/harsh top end, at time I had them.

One. It could be more break in.

Two. I wasn’t patient enough to go trough the break in period.

Three. Sound is subjective.

Still the Silver 300 are much smoother. I believe this is simply because of the speakers uses dedicated midrange driver, so the crossover settings are better.

I own the Marantz PM8006. So I found it odd the 200 is bright with Marantz.

Still this shows how important matching is.

565 euros for a pair, have heard the 100 is better, price 619 euros. While you replied to my thread i was reading this thread, the MA silver can have lisetning fatigue

The issue is that when I listen to CDs on my main system downstairs in the lounge, I cannot do so for more than about 15 minutes without the sense that "I've had enough...I just want to turn it off now". This doesn't happen on a small system I have upstairs, nor when I listen to vinyl. It was also worse when I had the Dali Oberon 5 speakers, but better with the Wharfedale 12.3s. Having recently bought the Silver 200s, which sound amazing, it has sadly returned to its previous level.
That was my post. I wouldn't use my experience as a benchmark about Monitor Audio. I am easily overwhelmed by too much detail, be it visual, auditory, taste or smell. My post says more about me than the sound of the speakers.

I’d go for the Silver 100 if you can find new for good price.

I was very lucky getting the Silver 200 for the exact same price as the Black Friday price 2 weeks before Black Friday! Half the price brand new.

Very nice of the shop. I then changed them to the Silver 300. The same price.

What sound. The bargain of life time. So happy with the sound. They can be placed 20-30 cm against the walls-with no issues at all.

Dali Oberon 5 needs around 50 cm from the walls in my listing room, to sound the best.

The sound between MA and Dali: is more drive, smoother sound from the MA speakers.

The Dali Oberon 5 speakers are very find speakers too. Though they emphasize the midrange, tweeter too much at times. Still I find pretty neutral in my ears.

Every manufacturer has their view what they think is neutral sound.

You can’t find the Silver 100 6 G at half price at your local shop? Ask them, you never know...

565 euros for a pair, have heard the 100 is better, price 619 euros. While you replied to my thread i was reading this thread, the MA silver can have listening fatigue

I listened to Oberon 5 and was less than impressed. I believe Oberon 3 get the balance right and the bass paradoxically sounded bigger to me..

You shouldn't get fatigued that quickly.. Is the room rather bad acoustically? like marble floors, naked walls, big windows?

I’d go for the Silver 100 if you can find new for good price.

I was very lucky getting the Silver 200 for the exact same price as the Black Friday price 2 weeks before Black Friday! Half the price brand new.

Very nice of the shop. I then changed them to the Silver 300. The same price.

What sound. The bargain of life time. So happy with the sound. They can be placed 20-30 cm against the walls-with no issues at all.

Dali Oberon 5 needs around 50 cm from the walls in my listing room, to sound the best.

The sound between MA and Dali: is more drive, smoother sound from the MA speakers.

The Dali Oberon 5 speakers are very find speakers too. Though they emphasize the midrange, tweeter too much at times. Still I find pretty neutral in my ears.

Every manufacturer has their view what they think is neutral sound.

You can’t find the Silver 100 6 G at half price at your local shop? Ask them, you never know...

565 euros for a pair (50), have heard the 100 is better, price 619 euros.

565 euros for a pair (50), have heard the 100 is better, price 619 euros.
That’s only 20 percent discount! Sorry not correct, around 40 percent I believe. At least for the Silver 100 6 G.

Last edited:
Here in Norway the price for the old Silver 100 G is around 10000 in Norwegian money.

On sale the price could vary between 5000kr-6000kr

The old Silver 50 G, new around 8000 Kr here in Norway.

The price is now 4995 kr.

So 40 percent discount.

So cheaper I believe then the sum you are mentioning. Of course the price varies in different countries. Currency, inflation.

Here in Norway the price for the old Silver 100 G is around 10000 in Norwegian money.

On sale the price could vary between 5000kr-6000kr

2099kr each (50) or 2299kr each (100) at tapeconnection unfortunally i can only get the 100's in 2 colours which i don't like

Monitor-Audio-Silver-100-eg.w610.h610.backdrop[1].jpg

91kR-dPzAOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom