Upgrading speakers to ?

gasolin

Could be you need to change your current Class D (📦) amplifier. Yes, I know Class D is switch mode amplifier. Less heat wasted, more current to the amplifier.

Still take a look at the 1120, then you’ll see the build quality is much better.

This is not my expertise, so perhaps I should let other forum members reply.

Still, the Rotel transformer. The Rotel wins.

Because the rotel is bigger more expensive ?

Onlythesound

I am at a loss as to where this thread is going. It's not going to get closed as long as members keep replying to it. Six pages now and it's like a carousel with a brick wall in the middle to bang your head against.
Reminds me of one of these:
:mad:

Attachments

• A9802CC6-72E1-4370-B1C1-56F15E4D6071.jpeg
    A9802CC6-72E1-4370-B1C1-56F15E4D6071.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 14

Helix Hifi

Yes, more expensive is always better.

Sorry, I can’t help it.

Helix Hifi

I see you are an attention seeker. So my last reply, thought I won’t stop watching this tread. It’s so funny, the funniest tread I’ve read in long time.

I know you are not intentionally messing with us but am not sure...

You claim the following. The current Class D amplifier is cleaner on louder volume. Yes, probably true because the way Class D is designed. I don’t own Class D amplifier, so I can’t tell for sure.

While listing to Class AB, Class D in store I don’t get the impression you are having.

I think the main reason you are having issues is because you listen in near field.

Or you are incredibly picky! Probably the latter! I bet Gryphon amplifiers is not to your licking.

It could be Rotel, QA are reading this. I would contact them and ask for advice.

Anyway, if you post pictures of the listing room. This tread could have been resolved along time ago.

FootHealer

I don't like the tone this thread has taken. It seems we are not really discussing anything useful, going round in circles, and taking digs at each other. Perhaps its time to close the thread and let it go?

I would say that we have tried to answer the OPs original question and no resolution has been found. End of story.

TB Rich

You claim the following. The current Class D amplifier is cleaner on louder volume. Yes, probably true because the way Class D is designed. I don’t own Class D amplifier, so I can’t tell for sure.
I think that’s a bit of a fallacy with Class D really, or at least it’s not an exclusively true fact anyway.
I had the NAD C368 which is a Class D using Hypex UcD modules, it sounded decent, but the single biggest complaint I had with it was actually how strained it sounded when pushed.

If I compare it to my Class A/B amps I’ve owned them they have not suffered with this issue.

I felt the NAD despite its on paper power, never felt that muscular at all.
But at up to say 7 tenths - it had more than acceptable performance (bugs aside anyway!).

gibbsy

I don't like the tone this thread has taken. It seems we are not really discussing anything useful, going round in circles, and taking digs at each other. Perhaps its time to close the thread and let it go?

I would say that we have tried to answer the OPs original question and no resolution has been found. End of story.
If you keep replying to it then it's going to keep on running. No replies it slips down the list and out of sight. There is no reason to close it.

FRFT

I'm sure the kef have much less distortion in the bass than the q acoustics 3010i.

The ls50 is actually a small bookshelf so of course it will have high distortion in the bass when turned up high.

Keep them at realistic SPL levels and they'll sound nice and clean.

Move your listening distance a couple of metres back and you'll see the real difference between the two speakers

gasolin

The q acoustics 3010 still does a good job and somehow sounds bigger than the metas

Atm with my current setup im playing 80 peaking at 100 db 80-90 db is also okay

Helix Hifi

Told me I’d never reply again... But don’t you have the KEF anymore? If not. I sincerely hope you like the sound.

Again it’s impossible to get the perfect, perfect sound. There we’ll always be some limitation you need to live with.

Think off the people who dream of owning the speakers you have, but can’t afford them. This includes me too.

Merry Christmas, take care.

gasolin

No i don't, my signature is up to date

I sold 2 pair of speakers, the upgrade wasn't to expensive compared to kef metas, i could pay cash for the speakers, unexpected i got a disount on the speaker and 10 year warranty

Very low self noise (hiss,white noise,coilwhine), more and deeper bass,higher spl, adjustements for the highs and bass (acoustics space) to make them as neutral as possible in my room, even at acoustic space on b there is alot of bass, 12db/octave high pass filter below port tuning, despite the 5's being really good, the 6.5" is where it start to get fun

Maksimal SPL-peak: 105 dB SPL @ 1m
Maksimum SPL pr. Par: 111 dB SPL @ 1m

-3db is 45hz instead of 57hz sound a little better than small speakers with an 8" subwoofer

Not only more power also more bass or the opposite not only more bass also more power

I missed something from the bass, there was some sparkle in the upper midrange,lower treble, could do with a little more power although they are rated at 105 db for a pair, they won't play it do to limitations of the bass,midrange unit, it's not true 5"

Helix Hifi

Am sorry, have you bought active speakers? White hiss, you mean hiss from the speakers? If so white hiss is normal to a degree. In fact it’s not the speakers, but the amplifier which makes noise. It’s called SNR ratio.

Sorry, it’s hard to understand what you mean. No your signature is not up to date.

gasolin

yes white noise or hiss from the speakers

My signature is up to date

gasolin

half and half

One whas new one was used

gasolin

I thought my signature is visible Mackie MR624, if they made new Mackie MRT624 i would buy them

gasolin

They do push if you wanna play loud edm and they don't cost a furtune at gear4music and thomann.de

Low self noise, alot of bass and power, neutral but clear sound, should have more details than most similar priced speakers with an amp.

The MR824 must be amazing if you like it deep and loud (cheaper than the Yamaha HS8)

JKRsega

I have Kef Cresta 30 and Kef Concerto 2. Lovely balanced sound and with svs pb1000 I am more than happy. Enjoy your equipment and don't let anyone tell you different if it sounds good to you.

Helix Hifi

From my understanding this are active speakers with build in eq. Probably better when listing in near field.

If speaker hiss bothers you, Supra sells not so expensive power cords. It could help.

gasolin

From my understanding this are active speakers with build in eq. Probably better when listing in near field.

If speaker hiss bothers you, Supra sells not so expensive power cords. It could help.

Why should power cords help with hiss when it's the amp on hissy speakers that are making the hiss ?

I am using super power cords

Helix Hifi

Okey then. Just asking. Everyone has speaker hiss. If you turn the volume on max you’ll hear it. This is the amplifier noise floor.

Some amplifiers are of course quieter then others, some are totally silent. The latter are very, very expensive amplifiers.

Helix Hifi

@gasolin, as long as you are happy. That’s what matter. How does the KEF compare with the active speakers?

gasolin

Okey then. Just asking. Everyone has speaker hiss. If you turn the volume on max you’ll hear it. This is the amplifier noise floor.

Some amplifiers are of course quieter then others, some are totally silent. The latter are very, very expensive amplifiers.

Many studio monitors have hiss regardless of how the gain,volume is

Some are so bad that some can hear it fare beyond the normal listening distance for nearfield

Have you seen this video ?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony confirms UK pricing for A90K and A75K Bravia XR 4K OLED TVs
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG announces new CineBeam HU915QE 4K laser projector