Upgrading speakers on sony 'all in one'

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Mattyd79, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Mattyd79

Mattyd79
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - hoping you knowledgable people can help me. I have a sony 2.1 all in one blu ray and speaker system (bdv L600) and one of the speakers is broken. Don't really want to get a whole new system right now and was hoping to just buy some new speakers. I am looking at the cambridge minx 11's as they seem to be a good price as being discontinued. However I have no idea if this will work or not. The old sony speakers were 4 ohms and the cambridge are 8 ohms compatible. Is this problem? The old speakers plug I yo the back of a wireless sub linked yo the blu ray. No point In getting the speakers if it will just damage them or the amp in the blu ray system. Let me know if more detail on the current system would help as may be able to get from the manual.

Many thanks

Matt

2. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    8 Ohm speakers will put less of a load on the SONY system than the original speakers and so should not cause any damage to the existing kit.

The danger is in putting lower resistance speakers on an AVR as they can cause too much of a load to be put on the amplifier.

3. Mattyd79

Mattyd79
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks

Matt

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    The reason for 4 ohm speakers on an all in one system is that they can sound louder so putting 8 ohm speakers on a small all in one system could give volume issues. This could mean you have to turn the system up and push it harder which again could cause issues. All in one systems are not designed to be upgraded. Hence I would look to get a new amp too.

5. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Agreed although audible volume also depends on the speakers sensitivity.

After I purchased my KEF T205's I ran my old CANTON Movie speakers off an old SONY all-in-1 for several years connected (optically) to my PC/XBOX in my office because they sounded (and looked) lots better than the original SONY ones did.

I was never aware of any volume shortfall but it was in a small room and I was sitting close when using my PC - it was usually only set at 5 or 6 out of a scale of 40 on the volume.

A new AVR would obviously be the better bet but as an interim solution putting new 8 ohm speakers to an all-in-one system is infinitely preferable to putting old 4 ohm speakers onto a new AVR.