Upgrading Sony bdp s350

louisg

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've got the above player and been really impressed with it, I'm going to give it to my mum soon and was wondering what to upgrade too.

Would require excellent Sd picture quality
Wifi enabled
iplayer
Youtube
Opticle port to connect to soundbar

I will be streaming .mkv's from appletv in jan so not bothered about playing any other format.

Budget around £100

Last edited:
Hi, I've got the above player and been really impressed with it, I'm going to give it to my mum soon and was wondering what to upgrade too.

Would require excellent Sd picture quality
Wifi enabled
iplayer
Youtube
Opticle port to connect to soundbar

I will be streaming .mkv's from appletv in jan so not bothered about playing any other format.

Budget around £100

Look at the Sony BDP-S370...Play.com have it for around £119.00

I still have the 350 connected to a Yamaha Soundbar, albeit by coaxial cable, but according to Sony's website here, the 370 has optical as well.

That looks a great player apart from i have to buy a wifi dongle as a extra.

Also whats the sd playback like compared to the 350.

its down to 99 pounds now :smashin:

That looks a great player apart from i have to buy a wifi dongle as a extra.

Also whats the sd playback like compared to the 350.

its down to 99 pounds now :smashin:

Or run a long ethernet cable to your router (if you can hide the cable of course!), which is what I do for firmware upgrades.

sd playback is superb and as good as the 350.

£99.00 is a bit of a steal...all the best, SKK.

Or run a long ethernet cable to your router (if you can hide the cable of course!), which is what I do for firmware upgrades.

sd playback is superb and as good as the 350.

£99.00 is a bit of a steal...all the best, SKK.

No way of hiding cable besides I want to use features via wifi. Will wait till next year to see what new models are like.

No way of hiding cable besides I want to use features via wifi. Will wait till next year to see what new models are like.

Actually, I have the same problem. If I upgraded, then I would need a player with secure wifi connectivity (my 350 would have to go pop first, though!)

You should check out Homeplugs.......LAN over your house wiring & existing plugs. First got introduced to it via my BTVision Comtrend Homeplugs, quite snazzy solution. Oh and I have 3 Wifi enabled BD devices, still use this tech.

I use 4 of these (bought second hand) much more stable than Wifi around my house, I worry about doing firmware upgrades over Wifi.

Netgear XEB1004 85Mbps Powerline Ethernet Switch Kit - Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
An alternative is:

Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-Ray Player WiFi Ready - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

Still needs the dongle for WiFi, but will give you better audio through your sound bar over optical as it re-encodes everything to max bitrate DTS.

It loses a very small amount in picture, but personally the sound is as important to me!

For the extra though, you may as well get one with WiFi built in:

Samsung BD-C6500 Blu-Ray Player - Built-in WiFi - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

But if the budget isn't that flexible then the Sony is the best bet for quality.... but you won't get WiFi built in at that price.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Scott I am a huge DTS Re Encode fan hence the LG 390, but these days the most important thing is firmware support I'd say. Also worth noting that 99% of Audio these days is DTS-MA HD, which is output as 1.5mbps core DTS from any player (ie akin the DTS re encode). Sony seem to be leading the way in firmware updates.

Agreed, now that the Sony has dropped to £100 it's one i'd go with certainly.... but the issues around WiFi etc prompted the other options as much as the audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom