Upgrading Socket 939 mobo - new one to get?

S

SiCliffy

Hi all, newbie here so please be kind!

I use my PC for Football Manager and iTunes with a little bit of internet useage here and there. I've recently decided to upgrade to 4gb RAM on my current mobo, a ASUS a8v deluxe.

Unfortunately this mobo doesn't seem to like the 4gb either through age or through a broken slot. Either way, it needs to be upgraded.

I don't want to spend lots on getting a new CPU etc so just want a new motherboard. My current CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 4200+ dual core which is Socket 939.

Can anyone recommend and/or point me in the direction of a cheap Socket 939 mobo whihc would support 4gb RAM?

ebay is probably your best bet for this sort of thing. I don't know if any shops or onlne stores would have such old stock

Before spending money check the board using your original working ram. e.g in blue coloured ram slots first then Black.
If machine boots both times OK then not MB.(as you have proved ram slots work)
Try the same with the upgrade ram you bought.
If you didn't do it before give the slots blow to clear dust or carefully hoover them.
LJx is right no shop or online store will have kit of that age. Had a look at Ebay and it only had one ad for that board in UK. The rest were all abroad. The other way to look at it is to look at other makes of MB that use the same chipset as these will do the job just as well.

Personally I would have investigated cost of a new system unit as well.
HP Compaq DC7700, Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86 GHz, 1 GB, 40 GB, MS Windows 7 Professional x32

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom