Upgrading Sky+ Multiroom to Sky Q Multiroom

MyronAub

I currently have 3 x Sky+ boxes feeding 9 rooms via HDMI and using coax Magic Eyes for control.

Am I right in thinking that I can upgrade to a Sky Q box and 2 x Q Minis and achieve the same thing by buying 9 x Sky Q infrared controllers and adding 3 x infrared transmitters (e.g. Philex SLx Ominlink) for control?

Am I missing anything or will the three new Q boxes simply replace the existing Sky+ boxes, using the same HDMI cables for the content and the existing coax for the IR control (the only difference being the coax will terminate at an IR transmitter rather than the Sky box)? Does anyone know if my existing non-Philex Magic Eyes will work with the Philex IR transmitter or will I need to buy a quantity of Philex IR sensors too?

razy60

You won't need ir transmitters the mini boxes are independent units using the main sky q box as a control/storage device. The new boxes use Bluetooth for control not ir. I don't even point the remote at the sky q box. For the other rooms you might need to look into devices that have sky go.

Dustin20

Novice Member
You won't need ir transmitters the mini boxes are independent units using the main sky q box as a control/storage device. The new boxes use Bluetooth for control not ir. I don't even point the remote at the sky q box. For the other rooms you might need to look into devices that have sky go.

The Q remotes have two modes, Bluetooth or IR but using IR means you lose voice control. IR only mode can be activated by pressing 4 & 6 together.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom