Upgrading Sky+ HD Box Hard Drive

K

KEITHJAM

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could advise please on upgrading the Hard Drive in my Sky+ HD Box to a larger capacity, & if possible also transfer my current recordings to the new HD.

I have a Amstrad DRX780UK-C model which I believe is 300GB with 160GB usable for recordings, running EPG 47.0.16.1. Unfortunately now I've upgraded to Sky HD, my box is always becoming full due to the extra space these recordings take up.

I've done some investigating on the web & ebay, & it seems my model will only take up to a 1TB HD, & that the recommended & commonly used Software utility 'Copy+' does not support transferring recordings for this model.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge of similar upgrading including recommended ebayers, it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Keith

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
You might get an answer in the correct forum.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Also, this subject is often raised, so doing a search on here should provide an answer.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum! :)

logiciel

Hi - and welcome to the forum.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Try software called ExPVR (google it) - the successor for copy+ for Darwin software boxes.

rayferry

Last week I upgraded my Pace box from the original 300Gb drive to a 500gb drive and used the ExPVR software. I copied about 40Gb from the original drive and it took about 20 minutes, no problems with the whole procedure.
Thankfully I bought my drive before the price rises.

K

KEITHJAM

Thanks for the info Ray. I plan to buy a 1TB HD & use ExPVR as you & Dave have recommended.

Did you need to install a utility so the source Sky+ hard drive was mounted as read-only, preventing Windows from modifying it?

rayferry

I just installed the ExPVR software then connected the the original and the new drive to SATA ports on my mainboard, the BIOS found the drives and Windows 7 also reported the new hardware, I was going to look in disk management but didn't bother and just ran the disk copy part of the software.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom