Upgrading Scart cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Vindi, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Vindi

Vindi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering whether they'll be any benefit of buying a premium scart cable to use in between my Samsung le32r41bdx and my sky box.

Ive got a pretty crappy picture at the mo, worse than the intergrated freeview! but thats what i expected as i know this tv isnt a fan of this type of source (where as PC and DVD over HDMI are perfect!), so will a better cable actually make a difference in this case?

If so any recommendations on brand of cable and what sort of price to pay for one?

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vindi, first of all make sure you have RGB enabled in the Sky menus, this alone can improve things considerably, also check that scart connection you are using is RGB enabled.
    As for which cables, that will be a personal choice, I would be prepared to spend around £30-£40 for a high quality 1 meter fully wired (or RGB only) scart.
    Have a look around the forum sponsors for cables that would fit the bill.

3. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vindi, most Sky channels are of such poor quality (low bit rate) that upgrading to a better quality scart can make the picture worse. It depends in which way the picture looks bad, if it looks 'blocky' the bandwidth of a better scart will enhance the edging on the blocks and to many people this makes the picture look worse.

Andy.

4. Vindi

Vindi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies, i was all RGB'd up in the first place but i kno a lot of ppl forget that, ive done some more reading since i posted and i think it may be the fact that ive got a supposedly crap amstrad box, where as i should have requested installation with i pace box instead.

I've got an engineer coming round saturday hopefully he'll kno sod all about LCD's and think that the pic looks appaling compared to the average crt, and honour my request to change to a pace box. The person i spoke to on the phone didnt want to confirm that the pace box was better but were reluctant to give me one all the same.

Andy, i was on your site earleir looking at hdmi cables, would buying a premium one get rid of some of the sparkly walls a sometimes see coming from my HD950?

5. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'd look at QED & IXOS - I have both and they're great. I disagree with TV Cables - the crappy picture my freebie scart gave has now dissapeared and has been replaced by a crisp well rounded picture...