Question Upgrading Receiver with Dual Screen PC in Mind

ce1145

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! New to the forums, so I apologize in advance if I missed a piece of the forum decorum.

My situation/question(s) is this: I am looking to upgrade to a new receiver before the end of the year in order to take advantage of a lot of the new features available these days, and to simplify my current setup which is as follows:

Receiver- Sony STR-DG520 (5.1)
Speakers- L&R Front- Polk Audio T15, Center- Sony SSCS8, Surround L&R- hand-me-down Bose Acustamass 2 with passive "sub", Subwoofer- Polk Audio PSW10
Video output- Vizio M43-C1 4K TV, 5 year old 32" Insignia TV
Inputs- PC, XBONE, PS4, cable box, and possibly a hand-me-down Sony record player in the future

All audio inputs are connected to an optical audio switch before going to the receiver, since the audio portion of the
HDMI-IN ports is not functioning. All video imputs currently go directly to the TVs, bypassing the receiver, due to its lack of 4K support, and aforementioned faulty HDMI ports, thus more than doubling the amount of cables needed.

I currently use my PC for everything including daily music/video streaming, gaming, and student graphic design work, and so the dual screen setup, although not perfect, works very well for me. This allows me to use the 4K screen for video or graphic design material, while using my old 32" for things like other app menu windows and Spotify. Besides that, I use the XBONE and PS4 on the 4K screen, and the cable box on the 32".

What I'm looking for is a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver (instead of 5.1 so I can eventually add the 2 channels and use audio zoning with 2 sources) within a $300-$400 budget. Are 2 HDMI outs for the two displays out of the question? If so, how can I keep my current functionality, while utilizing the HDMI format as much as possible? Im currently looking at the Denon AVR-S710W, and the Only TX-NR545, though neither have 2 HDMI outs.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom