1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Receiver - Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cadire, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I currently have the Pioneer VSX-C301 receiver, which works just fine and is slim enough to fit under my Tosh PF2.

However, I'd like to use the DVD-A/SACD feature of my Pioneer 565 DVD player.

The only logical upgrade, given the fact I want it to fit under the TV, is the Pioneer VSX-C501.

The question I have is this; I currently have the Canton Movies 6 CX speaker kit (which sounds just fine). These are rated at 80w max according to the homecinemaheaven site (where I bought them).

If I change to the C501, will the fact that this receiver has a higher output affect/damage my speakers?

The C301 is rated at 75w x 5
    The C501 is rated at 100w x 6

The power specs quoted for amps/receivers are misleading to say the least. Should I upgrade my speakers also?

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The 501 is 75W DIN so is below your speakers anyway. 100W is using RMS which is a measurement used by manufacturers to make specs look more impressive. In real terms it's probably nearer 30W with all channels going anyway.

Your current speakers should be fine, damage occurs when you push an amp into distortion (clipping) so as long as you use reasonable volumes you should have no probs.

It is often said that a high power amp is preferable as it doesn't have to work as hard for the same volume and there is less chance of it being streesed into distortion.

Sure someone will fill in the techy stuff if you ask.

Gus

3. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for that Gus, it's put my mind at rest.

C501 it is then :)

4. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Received the C501 today and I must say I'm well impressed.

I was under the impression that it was just a beefed up C301 with an extra channel, but it sounds great... I have a much 'beefier' sound than I did with the C301.

It could be the MCACC setup which has improved the sound (that made me jump as I was expecting white noise not rat-a-tats), but whatever it is I'm a happy bunny.

The extra power shows in the volume level, which is now 10db less at my preferred volume.

...now I wonder what it would sound like with rear speakers? <-- oh dear, on the well trodden upgrade path already!

:D

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    :smashin:

Congrats on your purchase, Pioneer seem to be doing a lot of things right in the AV field at the moment.

The problem is once you start upgrading, where does it end?

Gus