1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading rear and front speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hostile 17, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have an 5.0 Eltax Universe system running with an Eltax 8.2 sub.
    I want to upgrade my front speakers to Symphony 14.3's. If I did would I be able to replace the rear speakers on my universe system with my original front speakers? And if so would it sound ok?

On a related note when I listen to movies in 5.1/DTS you can't really hear the rear speakers that loud. I've turned the individual volume levels up on my reciever but it doesn't really help, any ideas?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The rears are used mainly to add ambience which subtly widens the soundstage and in those circumstances if they are noticeable, they are too loud. It is mainly action blockbuster type films that make more use of the rears by placing discrete effects through them like gunfire or planes flying overhead.

I can't advise on the Eltax as I haven't heard them but I don't see why you can't put your current fronts as the rears. It isn't as important to tonally match the fronts to the rears as it is to have the front three tonally similar

3. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SO it would be ok to put the front ones as rears. Would they enhance the sound from the rears noticebly?