• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrading plasma, got a choice of 4

A

AndyGriggs

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my current Hitachi 32PD5200 to a 42" plasma, and after a couple of hours here, I think I've found some potential replacements, but I'd be grateful for some opinions. My budget is going to be £850, I'll be mainly using Freeview/DVD/Xbox 360, but I'd like to be able to plug my laptop into it occasionally. Here are the contenders (in no particular order):

1. Samsung PS42Q97HDX
2. Panasonic TH42PX70
3. Hitachi 42PD9700
4. Hitachi P42T01

I was just gonna stick with Hitachi and get the 9700 as I like the idea of the ALIS running at 1080 x 1024 compared to the 1080 x 768 of other panels, until I realised the model is quite old (although it's won plenty of awards). I started looking at the P42T01 as the replacement, but these reviews haven't been as favourable, so I started looking around. I know the Panny gets rated well, but there have been group tests where the Samsung holds it's own again it, plus Samsung seem to be the preferred partner for Microsoft with their "Game Mode".

Basically, I've just wandered into the minefield :) If this were your money, what would you be doing?

Many thanks on any replies,

Andy.

lochie

Established Member
For me it was between the panny and sammy. Went for the 50 inch sammy , mainly due to comments about its SD picture (Freeview). Had it for 2 month, and I must say I am impressed. Came from the top end 32 CRT and was worried about poor picture on big screen. but did not need to be. It is a little slow to repond to remote with digital TV, but you get used to it. Beside I watch most of the TV via the sat.

I was even more impressed when SKY HD was installed and footy is fab.

The other thing was showed both to the missus and she prefered the sammy due to the little silver strips that runs along the bottem and the blue light - yes but what about the picutre dear - oh both ok :rolleyes:

kevH

Established Member
Also went for the Samsung although was very much a toss up with the Panasonic. Most viewing is done through Sky+ and it seems very good using a good quality RGB Scart and toying with the idea of Sky HD although at the moment there doesnt seem very much programming.

Have a good look at your narrowed down choices in the flesh and go from there, i dont think youll be disappointed with the Samsung if thats the way you go.:smashin:

A

AndyGriggs

Lotta love for the Samsung :) I'm gonna spend some time in the local Comet tonight and see...

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Splash out an extra £100 or so and get the 50" Sammy 50Q96 its awsome you won't regret it like the ladies say size is everything:D

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom