Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrading - PHD7 or PE30 ???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by elmbeck, Dec 11, 2004.

1. elmbeck

elmbeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've been extremely happy with my Panny 42PWD4 for the past 2.5 years (apart from the above average buzz that Panasonic didn't want to fix) - but my missus has kind of approved an upgrade.

It appears from this forum that Pannys are still the better choice (price v quality) - but which one?

The PE30 looks pretty smart with the cabinet (is it possible to keep the tidy look with all the cables and a cabinet with no back?), but for a similar price I could get the PHD7. What are the pros and cons for these two?

I have SKY+ so no need for a DVD recorder or Tuner (both included with PE30).

Finally - what about 42 v 50. Is the 50PHD7 worth the extra grand? (guessing that the 50PV30 isn't worth the extra two?)

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    How are you connecting up the PWD4 already? I'd imagine that you've got some sort of interface, such as the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, from Sky. This gave one of the best pictures you could get on the 4 series, and some believe the 4 series was one of the best. Therefore, I'd suggest that if you are going to change, have a look at the 7 series as a direct replacement. And you can still use the VGA input.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. cowlid

cowlid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

First post, but have been lurking alot!

Just set up my 42PHD7 (from MAW - thanks!) and I am gobsmacked! Sky+ hooked up via RGB->VGA converter, and DVD via component.

Truely awesome - and as far as I can tell, relatively futureproof - just have to wait for panny to produce boards that support various interfaces!

Just my tuppence worth!

Dave

4. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just out of interest, how much did you pay for your PHD7?

5. elmbeck

elmbeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Jon!

As you guessed, I use the Scart to VGA convertor (from your good self if I remember correctly?) to connect Sky, and Component to connect the DVD.

If I go for the 7 series (HD or not?) the 4 four would be used for the XBOX. Would I need another convertor or is there a better way to connect the XBOX?

6. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, theres no point in changing a 4 series to a 7 series SD display, as there will be bugger all difference (may even be worse!)

However, if you go for a high definition display that would be a different story. Personally, I'd wait until the digital connectivity issues are fully sorted out. This may mean waiting until the 8 series displays arrive!

7. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You've already got a good screen that is only a couple of years old. You really aren't going to gain anything worthwhile out of a new screen *now*.

If you have to choose between the PHD7 and Viera, then it's PHD7 all the way... for someone in your position, there is nothing to recommend about the Viera in comparison.

But seriously, you are wasting your money buying anything unless you *know* that it is compatible with future HDTV / HD-DVD formats. The Viera isn't, at all (well, unless you can get a digital -> analog adaptor). The PHD7 has some serious doubts right now about the compatability of the digital interface(s). For someone that really doesn't need to make a decision now, it would be rather foolish to not wait until those doubts are resolved.

8. RGOB

RGOB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to agree, I have the D4 model and have been told that future models (5 and 6 series) are generally cheaper because Panasonic have cut down the technology within them - and that the D4 was capable of the best picture. The D7 is even cheaper so not sure if that is due to more cost savings or other. So think you may be disappointed with changing your panel and I would continue to wait for the next major improvement.

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Essentially, there's two ways to connect the XBox. If you like to modify the XBox then you could get component output, but I prefer to keep my XBox unmodified. Therefore, mine is connected using the Microsoft Advanced SCART lead - the only one I'd recommend - via an RGB to Plasma VGA unit.

Halo 2 is excellent!

All the best,

John.

10. elmbeck

elmbeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Damn you all ........ have you been talking with Mrs Elmbeck????

Seriously - thanks for the advice. I'll hang fire for a few months and keep an eye on this forum.

Or maybe a 50 inch is absolutely necessary :)

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Certainly is!

Seriously, why don't you see about getting a demo of the 7 series? Is there anywhere local to you that would have one on display?

All the best,

John.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    PAL XBOX will output component un modified only need to mod it for 1080i 720p outputs all you need is the componenet AV cable