Upgrading package to include Movies

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by drphibes, Feb 13, 2009.

1. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    At the moment I have a Sky hd package that includes general entertainment and Sky sports. I have been thinking about trying the Movie package and wondered what the quality was like on the channels and also how long would I have to wait to cancel the Movies if I do indeed add them to my account ?

Thanks

2. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Haven't got the movies so can't tell you but have to keep the package for minimum of 1 month.

This thread might help you on movie quality:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hd-tv-programmes/596353-films-great-picture-quality-sky-hd.html

3. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Can anybody comment on the current quality of the movie channels in HD. I seem to be reading remarks that the bitrates have dropped off since launch and this has lowered the picture quality ?

4. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    The bitrates have dropped off since launch.

But, the encoders have also been radically improved.

There may be the odd film that suffers as a result, but I've not noticed one.

HD movies on sky range from the Absolutely fantastic (eg Zulu) to simply good. So even the worst of HD movies on Sky HD looks at least as good as a stunning DVD transfer - and most are a lot better than this. (with one exception GoldFinger - was I thought very poor)

Also don't forget Movies on Sky HD are transmitted at 1080i/50Hz with a 2:2 pulldown. This gives 1080p/25 for most decent displays, ie the same as Blu Ray (ok 4% faster than BR). So for movies without a lot of of fast action, you can expect Sky HD to very nearly if equal to Blu Ray

5. BrianMc

BrianMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Movies on Blu Ray vary significantly as well of course!

As "Goldfinger" isn't yet out on Blu Ray it will be interesting to see the quality when it is! It would be astonishing if the studios had supplied Sky with anything other than the HD-transfer that the Blu-Ray will be based on.

6. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    See if you can get them to do you a deal, I phoned just before Christmas and managed to get Sky movies for £3 per month for 3 months which was nice over the Holiday period.

7. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Oops just upgraded my package online to try out the movies:confused:. Well I can watch them for a month and take it from there.