Upgrading Onkyo 601+JBL e80

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by emi_dm, Apr 18, 2007.

1. emi_dm

emi_dm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've got a pair of JBL Northridge E80 powered by an Onkyo A/V receiver TX-SR601. The sound quality is fine for movies, but I'm not entirely satisfied when listening to music. Therefore, I'm thinking about upgrading.

The problem is that I do not know how to obtain the biggest quality leap, i.e., by upgrading the receiver only or the speakers only. I suspect the biggest gains will arise by getting rid of the A/V and buying a fine stereo, either integrated amplifier or receiver. I guess the H/K 3480 could be a good choice. My suspicion comes from the fact that the Onkyo A/V was powering a pair of B&W 603 prior to the JBL's, and the results where not fully convincing either.

Upgrading speakers will inevitably improve things, of course, but it would be much more expensive and, in addition, I think the JBLs are better than their price tag and lack of badge might suggest. I've been able to directly compare them to B&W 603 or KEF iQ7 and, depending on the type of music, results were more satisfying in several circumstances.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,