1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading old vinyl setup - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Bascombe, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,
    I have a vinyl setup that I've had for about the past 10 years, give or take some variations in the stylus used. The setup is as follows:

Project 0.5 turntable, wi OMB cartridge and OM10 stylus.
    NAD 302 amp
    Speakers????........Cables - generic: they're attached to the speakers, what can you say....

The speakers, by my way of thinking, have always been the weak link. THey are big boxy things that came with my previous midi system, and which I retained for economy's sake. Somehow I've never gotten round to replacing them. SO the first question would be, what would be a reasonable set of speakers to upgrade to, in the 100-150 bracket??

With regard to the turntable, I'm sure upgrading the whole shebang is probably legitimate, but if I stick with the present one, what kind of cartridge/stylus upgrade would make a difference? Or am I really looking at just going ahead and upgrading the turntable (when I bought, I was recommended to upgrade to the rega 2 - I take it that's still sound advice??)? Also wondering about the virtues of upgrading the default felt mat on the platter - is it worth it??

Finally the amp. All it has going into it is the TT and a denon tape deck, which suffices perfectly well. Is an amp upgrade an option, or can I happily upgrade elsewhere and leave it for the time being?

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Cheers,

Bascombe

2. cwilson

cwilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i wouls conentrate on upgrading the source, either A Planer 2 or 3 would be a good upgrade, then look at a better cartridge- nay be something like a Dennon DL 110 high out put MC